We do more than provide exceptional care for our guests. We provide exceptional care for our people.
We offer a family-like atmosphere with a focus on community and quality healthcare. The needs of our patients/family are at the core of our decision making. BHSH provides a soothing home-like environment for our guests, their families and our staff.
We are looking for a few exceptional registered nurses who want to make a difference and be part of a self-directed team where integrity, surgical excellence, personal and team contributions are highly valued. Our goals/focus is safety first, customer and personal satisfaction, community contribution, being judicial stewards of our resources & have incorporated these principles into operational functioning. This position is perfect for any nurse looking for an operating room role or expanding their skills and experience.
We believe that our staff is our most valuable resource. We value individual respect and expect that communication among all members of Surgical Services staff be cordial and appropriate. We expect each member of the team work together and also take individual responsibility for their performance. We have built a culture of safety, respect, professionalism, excellence and community. If you think you possess or aspire to the qualities of our team we would welcome your application to be part of a stellar future in the BHSH Operating Room.
The Operating Room Registered Nurse is responsible for the delivery and/or monitoring of optimum quality care to the surgeon while in the operating room environment.
- Education: Graduate of an NLN accredited school of registered nursing.
- Licensure: Current licensure as an RN in the state of South Dakota required.
- Experience: One year of OR experience in the last 3-5 years preferred.
- Recommended: Current member of the Association of Operating Room Nurses. Certification in OR Nursing.
- Special Skills: Basic computer skills including familiarity with electronic medical records. Ability to get along with other people and co-workers. BLS required, newly employed staff that do not have certification are required to attend the next available class within the first 6 months of hire. ACLS certification required within 12 months of hire if providing sedation.
- Physical Abilities: Will be required to lift patients frequently requiring the ability to lift 60 pounds. Must be able to exert at least 40 pounds of force to assist with patient transports. Extended periods of standing up to 4 – 6 hours. Frequent walking, bending, kneeling, and stooping involved.
- Mental Abilities: Must be able to comprehend physician’s orders, policies, procedures and guidelines. Must possess and demonstrate critical thinking skills.
- Dexterity: Frequent repetitive motions of hands/wrists involved with documentation and when managing instruments and/or supplies.
- Working Conditions: Will be working in a clean, well-lit area. May be required to deal with unpleasant environmental situations resulting from patient care or patient activity. Environment may be stressful.
- Hazards and Risks: Direct patient contact with possible exposure to communicable diseases, blood and body fluids, chemicals, x-ray, anesthesia gases, and laser plume and beam (with potential for inadvertent burn or retinal damage).
- Plans and evaluates safe, economical, efficient direct/indirect nursing care in the intraoperative areas of BHSH. Assesses patient needs.
- Is knowledgeable of the psychological, physiological, and spiritual needs of patients and directs care accordingly.
- Keeps OR Nurse Manager/Director and/or CNO informed of unit activity, personnel problems and patient condition.
- Assists in teaching and training personnel as required; acts as an innovator and role model to new personnel.
- Seeks assistance from OR Nurse Manager/Director or CNO in solving clinical and management problems.
- Is knowledgeable of the proper channels of communication within the department.
- Charts accurately and promptly on patients OR record.
- Is knowledgeable of medications used at BHSH.
- Knows basic principles of CPR and functions appropriately in a cardiac arrest, stressful, or emergency situation in the unit.
- Knows and properly applies the principles of aseptic technique, exposure control plan, and standard precautions.
- Sees that physician’s orders are carried out. Keeps physician informed of pertinent information regarding patient. Obtains clarification as needed.
- Provides an environment in which the patient care team can work cooperatively toward objectives. Is actively engaged in the surgical procedure, is attentive to surgical needs and provides needed items in a timely manner.
- Attends required meetings and participates on committees as directed.
- Participates in staff development.
- Functions within general policies and procedures of OR and BHSH.
- Complies with Federal and State laws and regulations, and BHSH’s compliance program, policies and procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality when dealing with data related to patients, physicians, co-workers and all other BHSH information.
- Demonstrates qualities of leadership. Accepts responsibilities of charge nurse as assigned.
- Flexibility in hours and in working in different areas of BHSH. Maintains consistent attendance.
- Maintains professional image always.
- Assists PACU staff with pre-op patient phone calls.
- Participates in acceptable continuing education, fostering career and skill development.
- Other duties as assigned.
When you join the BHSH team, you'll enjoy:
- Market-leading compensation
- Exceptional benefits, including:
- Health/Vision/Dental insurance
- Rewards & experiences through our employee appreciation program
- Mentorship & experience alongside the best providers in the region
Department: Operating Room
This is a full time position
Subscribe to be notified of new jobs