Kharon is a leading source for analysis on the intersection of international security and the global economy. The world's largest financial institutions and multinationals rely on Kharon's technology platform to identify threats and opportunities in markets impacted by today's most pressing security issues, including WMD proliferation, terror finance, corruption, environmental degradation, forced labor, and political interference.
We are hiring data scientists to expand and enhance our research and analysis platform, which leverages open-source intelligence, data mining, network analysis, and machine learning to generate unparalleled insights on networks engaged in illicit financial activity, enabling customers to make informed decisions on complex security, policy, and regulatory issues.
This position is located in Los Angeles, CA.
The successful candidate will excel in designing, evaluating, and executing on solutions to open-ended problems through superior analytical skills, resourcefulness, and tenacity. They will be innately curious and have demonstrated an entrepreneurial spirit through academic, professional, or extracurricular experiences. They will have demonstrated their ability to quickly learn new skills and familiarize themselves with new subjects.
Role & Responsibilities
• Coordinate with product and engineering teams to design, develop, and deploy tools for identifying and monitoring networks exposed to illicit financial activity.
• Work closely with researchers, product, and business development to identify, analyze, and operationalize novel datasets.
• Build models to derive insights from disparate data sources, accelerate analyst workflows, and enrich Kharon’s proprietary knowledge graph.
• Communicate potential value of insights derived from new and existing data sources through visual, data-driven storytelling.
• Research and learn new frameworks, languages, and technologies as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, statistics, engineering, physics, or other analytical discipline, plus one year of relevant professional experience
• Strong proficiency in Python
• Experience with designing, evaluating, and optimizing machine learning models
• Familiarity with NLP
• Familiarity with web crawling and scraping
• Familiarity with data wrangling, cleaning, and transformations
• Experience interacting with SQL and NoSQL databases
• M.S. or PhD in computer science, statistics, engineering, physics, or related quantitative field
• Experience with Java, C++, R, or Scala
• Experience with NLP
• Demonstrated understanding of key international security and business issues through professional or academic experience
• Proficiency in a foreign language — especially Russian, Chinese (Mandarin), Korean, Turkish, Farsi/Persian, Arabic, Spanish, French, Ukrainian, or Japanese
Kharon values candidates with unique perspectives and experiences. If you think you're a good fit, please apply - we're excited to hear from you!
This is a full-time position