Kharon builds data products and analytic tools to identify and understand risk at the intersection of international security and commerce. The world’s largest financial institutions and multinationals rely on our solutions to enhance their financial crimes compliance, sanctions compliance, export control, supply chain risk, and ESG programs.
Kharon is hiring an Investigations Analyst to lead Kharon’s research on networks that misuse Web3 technologies to facilitate illicit financial activity: ransomware, sanctions evasion, money laundering, and fraud.
Kharon looks for several key traits across all hires we make, regardless of role or team. First, we are investigators at heart, so we look for candidates who are entrepreneurial, relentless, and inquisitive. Second, our work is used by the world’s largest companies and financial institutions to make critical decisions, so we want candidates who are passionate about the issues we cover and take pride in their work. Third, we want candidates with unique experiences and perspectives that expand the frontiers of our analysis.
For this role, we are looking for two additional qualities:
- Understanding Web3-related illicit activity requires a firsthand understanding of Web3. So we are looking for candidates with a passion for, and experience using, Web3 technologies — we look forward to hearing about dApps you’ve used and airdrops you’ve received.
- Experience conducting quantitative and qualitative research using primary sources
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Investigate individuals and companies affiliated with Virtual Asset Service Providers (VASPs) that facilitate illicit financial activity
- Landscape sources of data relevant to understanding Web3-related illicit financial activity and typologies of risk
- Coordinate with data scientists and data engineers to build data pipelines to identify and track networks of Web3-related illicit financial activity at scale
Valued Skills and Experiences:
- Python or another scripting language
- Knowledge of one or more foreign languages — especially Russian, Chinese, Persian (Farsi), Arabic, or Korean
- Experience living, working, or studying abroad
- Demonstrated knowledge of international security issues — through work or academic study
This is a full-time position