Gurtin Municipal Bond Management, a PIMCO Company is seeking a uniquely qualified professional with a deep interest in public policy to join its best-in-class municipal credit research team as an entry-level credit analyst. This position offers an exciting opportunity for individuals with strong research skills that are fascinated by how various government borrowers operate and what challenges lie ahead for state and local governments. The ideal candidate should be intellectually curious and excited to analyze financial statements and budgets as well as research topics such as public pensions, retiree healthcare benefits, school funding formulas, and environmental regulatory changes. The position also offers the rare opportunity to learn fundamental municipal credit analysis from the ground up at a buy-side municipal bond manager, while working in a collaborative environment with a team of experienced credit analysts. Working in our San Diego office, the Associate will be primarily responsible for supporting the research activities of the team, in addition to conducting municipal credit rating surveillance on existing holdings, and aiding in the publishing of research reports on a variety of municipal sectors inclusive of state and local governments, school districts, higher education, healthcare and housing, and essential service utilities such as water & sewer systems and electric utilities.
This is an exciting time to join Gurtin, given our recent partnership with PIMCO, one of the premier fixed income managers in the country with $1.8 trillion under management and 14 offices worldwide. Together, we plan to be the leader in the municipal asset class, affording optimal career opportunities to potential credit research candidates.
- Learn fundamental municipal credit analysis through Gurtin’s in-house training program, which includes mastering economic, financial, debt and ESG (environmental, social and governance) risk analysis.
- Aid in the completion of comprehensive credit surveillance.
- Conduct thorough media surveillance and monitoring to discover credit events, news and trends.
- Assist in research and writing of credit reports on individual credits, sectors and municipal credit trends.
- Perform ad hoc projects.
- Maintain database integrity.
- BA/BS degree required; MPA, MPP or MBA desirable
- Rating Agency experience is a significant plus
- Experience in the municipal bond industry is a plus
- Experience in financial industry, particularly fixed income is also a plus
- Strong analytical ability
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Intellectual curiosity
- Ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to collaborate with a diverse team that includes other credit analysts as well as quantitative analysts
- Ability to speak and write clearly and concisely to varied audiences
- History of demonstrating initiative
- Innovative, detail oriented, and well organized
- Proficiency in MS Excel, MS Word, and MS PowerPoint
Compensation: Base compensation is commensurate with experience. Bonus is at the discretion of management.
Gurtin Municipal Bond Management, a PIMCO company, is an investment management firm founded on a simple premise: Do what you do best, and never settle. Serving high and ultra-high net-worth individuals, we provide focused expertise in managing investment-grade municipal portfolios that generate tax-free income. As of August 30th, 2019, combined municipal assets under management across Gurtin and PIMCO totaled $40 billion. Recognized as a “Top Workplace” for the past three years in a row by the San Diego Union-Tribune, we offer a unique culture that combines the casual and collaborative work environment of the West Coast with the intensity, sophistication, and professionalism of Wall Street, and are always looking to invest in talented individuals who will excel at Gurtin. (Learn more about the Top Workplace award and selection methodology.)
For more information on the firm and the awards please visit our website at www.gurtin.com.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
It is our policy to comply with all applicable state and federal laws prohibiting discrimination in employment based on race, age, color, sex, religion, national origin, or other protected classification. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Department: Investment Research & Strategy
This is a non-management position
This is a full time position