A Little About Us
We are engineers, technologists, planners, landscape architects, scientists, and their support teams that work together to deliver infrastructure, minimizing environmental impact and maximizing benefit to the community. We work hard and play hard because that is what #ISLLIFE is all about! Check us out on Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
ISL’s Building’s Team works to deliver excellence for our clients, both internal and external. Committed to finding, mentoring, and growing the right individual, our team approach is integral to our success:
- Flexible – we are a results-oriented team. As a high functioning, remotely enabled group, we are not your typical 9-5; we allow for flexibility in how and where work gets done. Work Hard – Play Hard!
- Interesting work – Although we specialize in mass timber, we have a variety of projects including heritage buildings in national historic sites, high performing and sustainable buildings, and recreation structures (pedestrian bridges, sky walks, and playgrounds)
- Entrepreneurial – we are a group of passionate individuals who work independently and as part of a team. We take initiative, run with ideas, and collectively share in project success
- Location – Canmore has some of the most breath-taking scenery and active lifestyle that Canada has to offer. You could live in the Canadian Rockies.
A Little About You
Your cover letter must demonstrate:
- Experience with or interest in developing skills in heavy and mass timber design
- Your approach to creative problem solving and decision making
- Why you’d like to live and work in Canmore
Your resume should show us:
- Registration as a P.Eng. or E.I.T. (or eligibility to become registered as a P.Eng. or E.I.T.)
- Familiarity with structural analysis software (e.g., Risa, RFEM, WoodWorks Sizer)
- Knowledge and application of structural theory, the National Building Code of Canada (NBC 2015), and Canadian Design Standards (O86, S16, A23.3)
- Working knowledge of Bluebeam, Microsoft Word, and Excel
Bonus points for:
- Working knowledge of seismic design
- Experience with 3D modeling software such as Revit or CADwork
- Experience with prefabrication of mass timber or light-frame structures, preparation of shop drawings for suppliers, or hands-on experience in construction
- Experience working as prime consultant as well as a subconsultant working with architects and contractors
- Hands-on construction experience
A Little More About the Role
Your projects will be both local and spread across Canada and you will have the opportunity to work on multidisciplinary
projects across all the ISL offices. Work may include the following:
- Prepare detailed structural engineering designs from concept, through tender to construction for a wide variety of projects including commercial, recreational, municipal, industrial, and residential buildings, in various structural materials (mass timber, light-frame wood, concrete, and steel)
- Assemble and review structural deliverables in collaboration with other team members
- Review and coordinate deliverables with other project team members including architectural, civil, landscape, process, mechanical, electrical, contractors and suppliers as each project requires
- Participate in project meetings
- Work on specialty engineering for the design of mass timber components and connections
- Complete assessments and prepare reports for various buildings and structures
- Support construction administration objectives and perform field reviews, including travel to remote locations
- Observe and maintain quality assurance practices and documentation standards on all projects
- Actively participate in continuous improvement initiatives
- Be a lifelong learner, stay current on industry trends and emerging technologies
- Collaborate with, advise, and assist team members in other groups and offices
- Other related duties as assigned
- Creating and/or leveraging custom spreadsheets
We are engineers, technologists, planners, landscape architects, scientists, and their support teams that work together to deliver infrastructure, minimizing environmental impact and maximizing benefit to the community.
- We work on fascinating projects right in our community.
- We are nimble. We integrate the right team to solve our clients' biggest challenges.
- We are social. Follow our hashtag #isllife on Twitter and Instagram or check out our YouTube Channel.
- We get together. Every year, Staff Development Seminar brings together ISLers from all over western Canada to learn, share and connect.
- We are independent problem solvers. Employee owned and operated, we like to work hard with minimum bureaucracy.
- We encourage and reward high performance. Employer paid benefits plan, Group RRSP, and competitive salaries with opportunities for annual bonus.
Want to find out more about this or other ISL career opportunities?
Visit us online at www.islengineering.com/about/join-the-team
Department:  Canmore - Buildings
This is a permanent full time position