A Little About Us
We are engineers, technologists, planners, landscape architects, scientists, and their support teams that work together to deliver infrastructure, minimizing environmental impact and maximizing benefit to the community. We work hard and play hard because that is what #ISLLIFE is all about! Check us out on Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
ISL’s Transportation Team in Alberta is committed to finding, mentoring, and growing the right individual. Our collaborative team approach is integral to our success. We are:
- Innovative – we are known for our creative approach to problems and provide our clients with innovative, cost effective and award-winning solutions
- Adaptable – we pride ourselves in delivering a large range of infrastructure projects for multiple clients, geographic locations, and number of contributing disciplines or sub-consultants
- Collaborative – we work together as a team and support each other to get work done
- Continuously Improving – we are never satisfied with the status quo and are always looking for creative ways to improve and get the job done
A Little About You
Your cover letter must demonstrate:
- A listing of the major transportation projects you have been involved in
- How you build and maintain internal and client relationships
- Your ability to work individually or with a team for fast paced projects
Your resume should show us:
- Registered as a P.Tech.(Eng.) with ASET or as a P.Eng. with APEGA
- Transportation infrastructure design experience
- Transportation design experience with Alberta Transportation and/or the City of Edmonton/Calgary, including design guidelines and approval processes
- Transportation design experience in all aspects of project delivery including planning, preliminary design, detailed design and tender preparation, and construction.
- Proficient in the application of TAC and AASHTO geometric design standards
- Leading or working in multidisciplinary team environments
- Proficiency in AutoCAD and Civil 3D as well as Microsoft business products and PDF software for drawing markups and comment tracking
Bonus points for:
- Alberta transportation infrastructure design experience
- Prior consulting engineering experience
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD C3D, AutoTURN, GuideSIGN, and ParkCAD
- Experience coordinating with other transportation disciplines: traffic engineering, transportation bridges/structures, heavy rail and LRT.
- Experience coordinating with other civil infrastructure design: bridges, retaining walls, noise walls, water, sanitary and storm
- Experience coordinating with other typical project professional services: geotechnical, environmental / historical, and public engagement.
A Little More About the Role
The ideal candidate has a client centric approach and can collaborate with multidisciplinary teams to address complex project problems and provide comprehensive project solutions. They will provide independent analysis, judgement and decision-making based on relevant engineering and scientific principles while working on or leading design teams and completing quality review of project deliverables.
- Working as part of a team to provide project design leadership, mentorship, peer and work reviews, design checks, and feedback on work prepared by others
- Provide constructability review of design drawings on a variety of rural and urban roadway projects
- Lead, collaborate and coordinate with other ISL disciplines and offices as well as sub-consultant teams on project deliverables
- Complete geometric design and related design tasks for a range of projects from conceptual design through planning, detailed design, and construction delivery
- Work in accordance with Quality Management processes, ensure technical quality of deliverables and schedule milestones are achieved
- Provide support during construction including design clarification, Third-party utility coordination, quantity verification, and assisting field staff with preparation of RFIs, change orders, and field instructions.
- Supporting construction administration services, such as quantity take-off’s, cost estimates, drawing revisions and field RFIs
- Preparation of record drawings and project closeout documents
- Assist with preparation of technical memos and design reports
- Continuous development through the participation in ongoing development and use of CAD technologies, applications, and standards, as well as expanding knowledge base and professional skills in these and other areas
We are engineers, technologists, planners, landscape architects, scientists, and their support teams that work together to deliver infrastructure, minimizing environmental impact and maximizing benefit to the community.
- We work on fascinating projects right in our community.
- We are nimble. We integrate the right team to solve our clients' biggest challenges.
- We are social. Follow our hashtag #isllife on Twitter and Instagram or check out our YouTube Channel.
- We get together. Every year, Staff Development Seminar brings together ISLers from all over western Canada to learn, share and connect.
- We are independent problem solvers. Employee owned and operated, we like to work hard with minimum bureaucracy.
- We encourage and reward high performance. Employer paid benefits plan, Group RRSP, and competitive salaries with opportunities for annual bonus.
Want to find out more about this or other ISL career opportunities?
Visit us online at www.islengineering.com/about/join-the-team
Department:  Edmonton - Transportation