A Little About Us
We are engineers, technologists, planners, landscape architects, scientists, engagement practitioners and their support teams that work together to deliver infrastructure, minimizing environmental impact and maximizing benefit to the community. We work hard and play hard because that is what #ISLLIFE is all about! Check us out on Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
Reporting to Amanda Kaiser, CP3, BCS, JA, Community Engagement Manager, ISL’s Community Engagement Team collaborates with our clients to develop, design, and implement customized, innovative, and effective community engagement and communications processes.
Key to our success is:
- Providing stakeholders and the public with opportunities to learn about our projects and provide informed feedback, while best meeting the needs of the project and client
- Training of our Community Engagement professionals by the International Association for Public Participation (IAP2)
- Extensive experience developing, leading, and implementing community engagement and communications strategies and plans that are consistent with our clients’ existing corporate frameworks and with IAP2’s Core Values
A Little About You
Your cover letter must demonstrate:
- Your approach to building relationships with a variety of stakeholder groups
- How you remain organized and prioritize assignments to proactively manage your workload
- Your professional development goals
Your resume should show us:
- 5+ years’ experience in stakeholder and public engagement, communications, or related field
- The ability to take technical information and craft public friendly content and imagery such as communications, advertisements, or session materials
- Experience with stakeholder and public engagement processes for planning, technical or infrastructure projects
- Facilitation of small or large group in-person and virtual sessions
- Proficiency in analyzing input and developing engagement reports and summaries
- Development and implementation of engagement strategies
- Proficiency with MS office tools, Google platform, MS Teams, Zoom, Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
Bonus points for:
- IAP2 Foundations or GBA+ Certificates
- Experience with stakeholder and public engagement processes for area municipalities
- Indigenous engagement understanding and experience
- Experience using video and audio editing programs
A Little More About the Role
A successful candidate will be a creative and social individual with a passion for engaging stakeholders and the public, collaborating with teams, and interest in continual growth and improvement.
If you worked with us in the last month here are some of the things you may have done:
- Attended a client meeting to discuss the progress of a project and planning for upcoming engagement events and activities
- Attended a project kick-off meeting and started drafting a Public Engagement and Communication Plan (PECP)
- Prepared engagement materials (such as display boards, roll plans or a presentation with speaking notes) for a transportation project, taking highly technical engineering plans and details and creating public friendly content
- Hosted an in-person engagement event with facilitated conversations for a major transportation project
- Planned a virtual engagement event to share designs for a park renewal project in a mature neighbourhood
- Worked with vendors to get communications and advertisement materials printed and distributed
- Analyzed participant feedback to create engagement summaries and What we Heard Reports
- Provided engagement content for proposals and supported business development efforts for community engagement and other ISL disciplines
- Attended a professional development training session or conference
We are engineers, technologists, planners, landscape architects, scientists, and their support teams that work together to deliver infrastructure, minimizing environmental impact and maximizing benefit to the community.
- We work on fascinating projects right in our community.
- We are nimble. We integrate the right team to solve our clients' biggest challenges.
- We are social. Follow our hashtag #isllife on Twitter and Instagram or check out our YouTube Channel.
- We get together. Every year, Staff Development Seminar brings together ISLers from all over western Canada to learn, share and connect.
- We are independent problem solvers. Employee owned and operated, we like to work hard with minimum bureaucracy.
- We encourage and reward high performance. Employer paid benefits plan, Group RRSP, and competitive salaries with opportunities for annual bonus.
Want to find out more about this or other ISL career opportunities?
Visit us online at www.islengineering.com/about/join-the-team
Department:  Edmonton - Community Engagement
This is a permanent full time position