McElhaney has an opportunity for a Senior Civil Engineering Technologist to join our team in Victoria, BC. Your primary responsibilities are to assist with diverse civil projects, provide detailed design support in production of engineering designs, drawings, and specifications, and assist in pursuit, project management, proposal and delivery of local and regional projects. Working closely with the Victoria office engineers, and related operational teams, the successful candidate can rely on a very capable and established engineering team of multidisciplinary projects.
Our award-winning engineers embrace a trailblazing spirit by challenging conventional thinking, questioning the status-quo, and expressing our passion to use engineering to make the world a better place. We recognize that our projects must serve the interests of our communities for the long term. Therefore, our teams specialize in municipal infrastructure & roadways, water resources, transportation, land development, structural, geotechnical, construction and electrical engineering services. From our most junior recruits to senior management, we are partners in solving our clients’ challenges while making high impact on our local communities.
Live in Victoria
Commonly referred as “Hawaii of the North”, Vancouver Island is a beautiful place to call home. On the Island, Victoria is the city that has the most breathtaking views with many housing and rental opportunities covering a wide range of incomes. Perks of living in Victoria include short winters, long summers and spring seasons with gorgeous ocean views to enjoy all year long. Indigenous Peoples heritage’s presence is prevalent in Victoria’s culture and atmosphere. Every year, this vibrant city celebrates Indigenous People with their annual Victoria Indigenous Cultural Festival. Victoria is also known for its famous Butchart Gardens, Craigdarroch Castle, Canada’s oldest Chinatown, whale watching, biking, kayaking, fishing, sailing and so much more!
For additional information on Vancouver Island, visit our customized Vancouver Island careers page.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- The successful candidate will lead components of, or entire projects from start to finish, meeting relevant standards, and client expectations
- Assist regional team in growing the business by seeking out new clients and assisting in proposal preparation
- Able to manage multiple tasks and jobs in a busy dynamic environment.
- Contribute to and reviews detailed municipal and/or land development project designs.
- Assist in the production of engineering designs, drawings, specifications, cost estimates and tender documents for projects such as potable water, sanitation, stormwater management plans, roadway design, site grading and drainage systems.
- Take projects from preliminary concepts and sketches into engineering designs and plans.
- Coordinate the preparation of documents required for regulatory approvals, prepare construction cost estimates and tender documents/contracts.
- Coordinate with other team members to ensure schedules, budgets and quality control standards are achieved.
- Identify issues and facilitate corrective measures, think independently.
- Liaise with contractor, clients/owners and affected stakeholders.
- Conduct Construction Field Reviews and Inspections, chair contractor/client meetings, complete Field Review Reports and Construction Progress reports as needed.
What You’ll Bring:
- Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology (or similar) from an accredited technical college program, plus 10+ years’ experience in a similar role
- Registration, or ability to register as an A.Sc.T. or other technical accreditation is an asset
- An individual that is a successful client liaison.
- Experience in writing reports, technical memos, and client communications;
- Experience administering MMCD contracts would be an asset;
- Knowledge of AutoCAD and Civil3D;
- Field and Construction Inspection experience is an asset;
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills;
- High productivity, attention to detail, and effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work well in a collaborative, team environment.
What Can We Offer You?
- Flexible work hours to accommodate your lifestyle
- Great benefits, including extended health & dental coverage, healthcare spending account, & RRSP matching
- Maternity leave top-up and parental leave
- Competitive salary and participation in our generous Performance Bonus Plan
- A workplace culture that is characterized by respect and inclusion for all
- Continuous support for your professional development and growth
- Employee and Family assistance program, which offers 24/7 support for all employees and their families either online or over the phone
- Participation in our numerous programs that support our Four Cornerstones: people & communities, clients & partners, processes & technology, and financial.
- Ability to become a shareholder in an employee-owned company
In accordance with the recommendations and guidance provided by government health authorities, McElhanney strongly encourages all employees to get fully vaccinated to protect themselves and others against the health and safety risks and the transmission of COVID-19 to others. This position requires that the successful candidate is fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and as such, proof of vaccination will be required prior to the first day of employment. McElhanney will consider all accommodations required due to a protected ground under applicable human rights legislation.
Based in Western Canada for over 100 years, McElhanney offers innovative and practical engineering, surveying, mapping, planning, landscape architecture, and environmental services. As a 100% employee-owned and operated firm, with over 1,100 staff members in 33 locations, we are proud to offer qualified staff with shareholding options in our company. At McElhanney, we work in teams to build strong connections with our staff, clients, and local communities. Our employees enjoy working here because of our varied projects, high levels of autonomy, opportunities for career development, excellent total compensation and benefits package, and collaborating with a team of great professionals.
Our Purpose: Amaze our clients. Care for our communities. Empower our people.
#li-senior #li-am3 #li-hybrid
If this is the opportunity for you, apply now or visit www.mcelhanney.com/careers to apply online. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To learn more about employee experience at McElhanney, visit us on Glassdoor
McElhanney is committed to fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion which celebrates the successes that comes from a team diverse in expertise, experiences, and perspectives. We encourage and are pleased to consider all qualified candidates, welcoming all ethnicities, religions, colour, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, aboriginal status, age, or people with disabilities. Requests for accommodations can be made at any stage of the selection process.
McElhanney is aware of activities where individuals have received fraudulent job offers. Please be advised that McElhanney will not ask applicants for any form of monetary exchange at any point in the recruitment process. To learn more visit: www.mcelhanney.com/careers/fraud-warning
The disclosure of your information in accordance with this Policy and applicable law, including to third party service providers may result in your personal information being transferred outside of Canada, including to the United States. Such transferred personal information may be subject to the laws of these other countries and the laws of other countries regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information may be different from the laws of Canada.
This is a full-time position
Subscribe to be notified of new jobs