What’s better than living in a city that offers great recreation, amenities, and affordable housing? What about the ability to grow your career in a community that is the right fit for you? McElhanney has a new opportunity for a Laboratory Technician to join our growing team in Fort St. John, BC. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work on both field and laboratory testing projects, and potentially assist other divisions, Survey, Civil, Structural and Marine Structural. This position will work closely with our Geotechnical and Civil Engineering teams to deliver construction quality control and quality assurance services.
McElhanney’s in-house materials testing laboratories deliver prompt, locally focused materials testing services throughout BC. Complementing our local laboratories, our fleet of mobile laboratories enables our qualified technicians to provide responsive on-site services, even in remote areas. We offer our services for the following project needs: construction aggregate testing, soil and concrete testing, and asphalt testing.
Live in Fort St. John:
Located in the heart of the majestic Peace River country, Fort St. John is the largest city in Northeastern BC and supports a trading area of more than 70,000 people in the city and outlying service region. The population is dynamic, young, and energetic and, as the population continues to grow, so does the supply of retail shopping and other amenities. The friendly, small-town feel is matched with big city amenities, creating a fantastic combination for many to call home. Fort St. John offers top-notch indoor recreation facilities and endless opportunities for outdoor adventures, and being “The Energetic City”, has hundreds of events taking place every year that entertain people of all ages and interests.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Working as part of a multi-discipline team of highly skilled engineers, technicians, surveyors, and drafters to provide excellent service to our clients
- Conducting laboratory soil testing including wash sieve analysis, modified and standard proctors
- Conducting laboratory concrete testing including compressive strength of concrete cylinders
- Conducting laboratory asphalt testing, marshall properties
- Conducting field testing of concrete (slump, air content, cast cylinders).
- Conducting field compaction testing using a nuclear densometer
- Timely preparation of reports
- Other duties as required
What You’ll Bring:
- Prior experience with earthworks/concrete construction and an interest in construction technology
- A diploma in Civil Engineering Technology is an asset, but not required
- Canadian Council of Independent Laboratories (CCIL)/American Concrete Institution (ACI) certification or the ability to obtain certification
- Knowledge of Canadian Standards Association (CSA) and American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) testing methods would be considered an asset
- Physical ability to lift heavy equipment, willing to work in various environmental conditions with varied terrain, able to work in wildlife populated areas and willing to work in remote areas when needed
- Good attitude and willingness to work cooperatively as a team player
- Strong communication skills and leadership capabilities.
What Can We Offer You?
- Flexible work hours to accommodate your lifestyle
- Great benefits, including extended health & dental coverage, healthcare spending account, & RRSP matching
- Maternity leave top-up and parental leave
- Competitive salary and participation in our generous Performance Bonus Plan
- Financial assistance with relocation if applicable
- Opportunity to become a shareholder in an employee-owned firm
- A workplace culture that is characterized by respect and inclusion for all
- Continuous support for your professional development and growth
- Employee and Family assistance program, which offers 24/7 support for all employees and their families either online or over the phone
- Participation in our numerous programs that support our Four Cornerstones: people & communities, clients & partners, processes & technology, and financial.
Based in Western Canada for over 100 years, McElhanney offers innovative and practical engineering, surveying, mapping, planning, landscape architecture, and environmental services. As a 100% employee-owned and operated firm, with over 1,100 staff members in 33 locations, we are proud to offer qualified staff with shareholding options in our company. At McElhanney, we work in teams to build strong connections with our staff, clients, and local communities. Our employees enjoy working here because of our varied projects, high levels of autonomy, opportunities for career development, excellent total compensation and benefits package, and collaborating with a team of great professionals.
Our Purpose: Amaze our clients. Care for our communities. Empower our people.
#LI-AM3 #Junior #Hybrid
If this is the opportunity for you, apply now or visit www.mcelhanney.com/careers to apply online. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To learn more about employee experience at McElhanney, visit us on GlassdoorMcElhanney is committed to fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion which celebrates the successes that comes from a team diverse in expertise, experiences, and perspectives. We encourage and are pleased to consider all qualified candidates, welcoming all ethnicities, religions, colour, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, aboriginal status, age, or people with disabilities. Requests for accommodations can be made at any stage of the selection process.
McElhanney is aware of activities where individuals have received fraudulent job offers. Please be advised that McElhanney will not ask applicants for any form of monetary exchange at any point in the recruitment process. To learn more visit: www.mcelhanney.com/careers/fraud-warning
The disclosure of your information in accordance with this Policy and applicable law, including to third party service providers may result in your personal information being transferred outside of Canada, including to the United States. Such transferred personal information may be subject to the laws of these other countries and the laws of other countries regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information may be different from the laws of Canada.
This is a full-time position
Subscribe to be notified of new jobs