McElhanney Ltd. has an exciting opportunity for a Lead Civil Designer to join our team in the Cowichan Valley region! Are you looking for the next challenge in your career?
This opportunity is well suited for a Civil Engineer or an Engineering Tech that enjoys working on a diverse range of municipal and land development projects working with local governments, First Nations, and private industry, in a fast-paced environment. McElhanney’s culture of mentorship and career growth make this position ideal for the successful candidate to both mentor junior staff, and to be mentored by senior management and engineering specialists within our organization. This senior level role is ideal for a self-driven, superior communicator who enjoys a challenge and the satisfaction derived from being part of an established multidisciplinary team.
We are proud to be listed as one of the Best Places to Work in Canada and Gold Standard for Best Managed Companies. Working within a smaller branch provides unique opportunities such as building entrepreneurial skills and guiding projects of all sizes from start to finish. If you are interested in applying, please submit your application online.
You’re Fired Up To:
- Lead diverse civil projects; envision, manage and carry out engineering design for various types of civil projects, from proposal stage through commissioning of the work
- Provide detailed design support and production of engineering designs, drawings and specifications that meet all client and approval agency requirements and standards for various civil projects including municipal, transportation, road works, bridges, outdoor recreational facilities and infrastructure upgrades
- Coordinate and assist in the preparation of documents required for approvals, prepare development and construction cost estimates, tender documents and contracts, and coordinate with other team members to ensure schedules, budgets and quality control standards are achieved
- Exceed client expectations by leading multidisciplinary teams, providing mentorship and guidance to junior and intermediate engineers and technical staff.
What You’ll Bring To The Team:
- Diploma in Civil Engineering or Engineering Tech plus at least 5 years’ experience in a similar role
- Registered or eligible to register for EIT or P.Eng. is an asset
- Demonstrated keen entrepreneurial spirit
- High productivity, attention to detail, effective verbal and written communication skills, and an ability to work well in a team environment.
- Experience with all government levels, construction contractors and developers
- Experience with AutoCAD and Civil3D considered an asset, as well as municipal infrastructure modeling software.
What’s In It For You?
Commonly referred as “Hawaii of the North”, Vancouver Island is a beautiful place to call home. On the Island, Duncan is the unofficial capital of the Cowichan Valley, a fertile crescent of rich farmland, lush vineyards, heritage river and lake systems, and scenic back roads in the south-eastern corner of Vancouver Island. The Cowichan Valley offers renowned outdoor recreation opportunities in hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, fishing and more. Dubbed the "City of Totems", Duncan has more than 80 First Nations carvings located throughout town and is also home to the Quw'utsun' Cultural Centre. Duncan is also known for great shopping and dining, the Saturday Farmer's Market, Aboriginal experiences, BC Forestry Discovery Centre, and its historic old-town quarter, where our brand new office is located.
For additional information on Vancouver Island, visit our customized Vancouver Island careers page.
A Full Range of Benefits to Keep You Healthy & Happy
- Flexible work hours to accommodate your busy lifestyle
- Flexibility to work remotely part time as needed
- Maternity leave top-up and parental leave
- Extended health and dental coverage, healthcare spending account, and RRSP matching
- Employee & Family assistance program, which offers 24/7 support online or over the phone
- A workplace culture that is characterized by respect and inclusion for all
- Competitive salary, participation in our generous performance bonus plan, and opportunity to join an employee-owned firm with potential share ownership
- Financial assistance to support your relocation
- Continuous support for your growth through professional development reimbursement, mentorship programs, and opportunity to join numerous internal committees.
For a full review of our projects, please visit our online portfolio: https://www.mcelhanney.com/portfolio
At McElhanney, we are committed to fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion which celebrates the successes that comes from a team diverse in expertise, experiences, and perspectives. If this job description resonates with you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet all of the requirements outlined above. We’re interested in getting to know you and what you could bring to the McElhanney team!
Our Purpose: Amaze our clients. Care for our communities. Empower our people.
#LI-AM3 #LI-Senior #Senior #Hybrid #li-Hybrid
If this is the opportunity for you, apply now or visit www.mcelhanney.com/careers to apply online. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To learn more about employee experience at McElhanney, visit us on Glassdoor
McElhanney is committed to fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion which celebrates the successes that comes from a team diverse in expertise, experiences, and perspectives. We encourage and are pleased to consider all qualified candidates, welcoming all ethnicities, religions, colour, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, aboriginal status, age, or people with disabilities. Requests for accommodations can be made at any stage of the selection process.
McElhanney is aware of activities where individuals have received fraudulent job offers. Please be advised that McElhanney will not ask applicants for any form of monetary exchange at any point in the recruitment process. To learn more visit: www.mcelhanney.com/careers/fraud-warning
The disclosure of your information in accordance with this Policy and applicable law, including to third party service providers may result in your personal information being transferred outside of Canada, including to the United States. Such transferred personal information may be subject to the laws of these other countries and the laws of other countries regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information may be different from the laws of Canada.
This is a full-time position
Subscribe to be notified of new jobs