Rubenstein is seeking a Chief of Staff to work alongside the President of the company, Steven Rubenstein. The Chief of Staff should have real experience as a strategic communications professional, as this role will support the day-to-day activities of the President, including servicing the clients he works most closely on. The person will work alongside our teams and leadership to advance the President’s vision on management projects and new business pitches, in addition to serving as the President’s surrogate on matters related to both internal and external communications. This position requires excellent interpersonal, organizational, writing and media skills, as well as the exercise of discretion, independent judgment, business acumen, and trusted handling of confidential information. They must be able to balance priorities to adequately address both client needs as well as internal and corporate needs in support of the President. The Chief of Staff will be an integral player on the Operating Committee, working in close partnership with the Chief Operating Officer and Managing Director, Office of the President, to problem solve and advance the vision of the President across a breadth of activities.
The Chief of Staff will partner with the President to conceive, implement and counsel public relations strategies and programs for the firm’s most significant clients, and provide broader strategic counseling by delving fully into the challenges and issues of client business. (They will be responsible for oversight of content creation, dissemination of press materials and managing / cultivating strategic media relationships). They will be responsible for maintaining client health on specific clients and the supervision and development of staff. They will also play an active role in the cultivation and generation of new business opportunities with existing and prospective clients.
The Chief of Staff must exhibit the skills to collaborate with and achieve actionable results through others, the ability to build strong and sustainable relationships and the capability to interact within all levels of the organization. The Chief of Staff is able to juggle multiple projects and deadlines and interact with senior executives both in and outside of the firm. They will be a “jack of all trades”, with expertise and understanding of a variety of industries important to the firm.
Rubenstein’s clientele includes; global corporations, media and entertainment companies, financial services organizations, educational and cultural institutions, law firms, health care providers, not-for-profit organizations, real estate concerns, business executives and public figures.
- Brief the President for new business prospects, general client meetings, on issues related to clients and/or current events or issues that may impact the firm’s business
- Direct correspondence with clients and friends of the firm on matters related to current account work or prospective work
- Support the President in decision-making, follow-ups and achievement of deliverables in a timely manner through project management and communication with clients, staff and media
- Attend meetings and work sessions with President
- Handle both the setting of agendas for internal and external meetings and the research, responding and preparing of correspondence that is generated by said meetings; responsible for keeping President apprised of outcomes and progress via regular reports
- Craft, implement, and lead strategic, publicity-oriented media plans and communications programs for clients, involving media relations, strategic positioning and planning, message development, special events and influencer engagement
- Serve as counselor and strategist for client; maintain client health and account growth
- Cultivate, establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of national, local and trade media
- Write creative and effective press materials, campaign plans and communication materials
- Oversee content creation, dissemination of press materials, and the management of media relationships; provide guidance to team members on effective pitching, account workflow and general account management
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Ability to deal with highly confidential information and act as a liaison between the President and other constituencies, both internal and external; must be trustworthy, decisive and loyal
- Ability to effectively and efficiently handle complex situations and multiple responsibilities simultaneously, mixing long-term projects with the urgency of immediate demands of the President; resourceful and proactive with high tolerance for ambiguity and shifts in direction
- Knowledgeable about a variety of the firm’s business sectors (i.e. public affairs, entertainment) and able to state the President’s position on client matters
- Possess strong relationships with media outlets; proven record in delivering PR results across print, online and broadcast
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills; proven ability to communicate with a diverse group of people and audiences; agility and versatility to stretch across client sectors; ability to effectively present work to colleagues and clients at all levels
- Demonstrated proficiency and affinity for social media / digital tools and platforms, and the eagerness to learn and stay current in the digital space
- Must be highly outcome-oriented and able to deliver results in a deadline driven environment, both on one’s own and through others; effective managerial and project management skills
- Ability to think critically, creatively and develop new and interesting ideas
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; focused on team success and collaboration
EDUCATION & WORK EXPERIENCE
- Must possess a minimum of 8 – 15 years of experience working with upper management positions in public relations, government, and / or public affairs
- Prior employment in Chief of Staff, Communications Director, or similar C-suite function highly desirable
- Client facing experience in an agency setting is a plus
- Degree required – preferred focus in Communications, Journalism, English or a related field
- Developed sector expertise (e.g., entertainment, real estate, public affairs) or functional expertise (e.g., media event management, PR strategy development and execution) required
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the incumbent in this position. This job description is subject to change as the needs and requirements of the job change. Salary commensurate with experience. We offer a competitive benefits package. All job offers are contingent on successful completion of a reference check.
Rubenstein is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity. EOE/AA/M/F/V/D/SO.
This is a full time position