Position Title: Director of Communications, Census 2020 For a Better New York
Type of Position: Contract Position, Full Time, January – August 1, 2020
Location: Manhattan, NY
Experience: 10+ Years
ABNY is seeking a Director of Communications for the Census 2020 campaign, January – August 1, 2020. This is a dynamic and fast-paced NYC campaign position, leading the communications effort around the 2020 Census, providing strategic counsel, and overseeing public relations and digital strategies for community-based organizations seeking to achieve a full and accurate count. This is a project-based contract position.
The Director of Communications will be responsible for oversight of strategy development, content creation, dissemination of press materials and managing a staff of public relations and digital communication specialists. This will be a multi-faceted “Get out the Count” effort, serving a large number of community-based-organizations in need of communications counsel. The Director will actively collaborate with ABNY’s Executive Vice President and ABNY staff on all Census 2020 related efforts.
- Provide strategy and counsel to community based organizations to develop comprehensive public relations and digital outreach programs that will help achieve an accurate count in the 2020 Census
- Provide input to senior management on time, budgets, assignment and utilization of staff for projects
- Lead, encourage, mentor, and develop staff members; provide guidance to team members on effective strategy, team issues, account workflow and general account issues
- Manage and delegate responsibilities of daily workflow of own accounts while driving consistent results
- The Director of Communications will work with the ABNY Board, ABNY Census Organizing and Action Committee and Executive Vice President to serve as a trusted communications advisor with full understanding of community-based organizations’ needs
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Deep understanding of city government, including but not limited to not-for-profits, community-based organizations, labor, education, healthcare, veteran’s affairs, public safety, transportation, and housing
- Political campaign experience, advocacy campaign experience, and/or get out the vote experience
- Excellent communication and organizational skills along with ability to prioritize and multi-task in a dynamic, creative, challenging and fast-paced environment
- Ability to think creatively and develop new and interesting ideas
- Proven ability to use digital platforms (social media, website, email, search, digital advertising, etc.) to achieve client objectives and communication strategies
- Proven success in managing client relationships
- Demonstrated ability to:
- Develop and implement strategic communications programs
- Adapt to a variety of clients
- Manage and develop employees
EDUCATION & WORK EXPERIENCE
- Political campaign experience is a plus
- Approximately 10+ years prior communications experience required
- College degree required
- Developed sector and industry experience required with versatility to work across multiple sectors
- Agency experience is a plus
- Foreign language is a plus
The Association for a Better New York (ABNY) is a non-profit organization dedicated to the constant growth and renewal of New York City’s people, businesses and communities. ABNY brings together leaders from government, business, labor, non-profit, education, healthcare, sports & entertainment, and tourism sectors to solve the problems of the day and keep the city moving forward.
In an effort to help New York City and State achieve the most accurate census count possible, ABNY has implemented a two-year strategic plan to ensure a fair and accurate 2020 decennial census count. To accomplish this, ABNY formed an organizing and action committee comprised of corporate, non-profit, community and union leaders. It is ABNY’s objective to achieve three primary goals: 1) maximize the census self-response rate in 2020; 2) help New Yorkers complete the census form; and 3) raise awareness about confidentiality and privacy protections under Title 13 of the United States Code.
The 2020 Census is of critical importance to New York, as tens of billions of our state and city budgets are derived from population-based funding programs. The upcoming census is complicated by the attempt to add a citizenship question on the census form, the migration from paper forms to mostly online, the reduction in federal resources for staffing and offices, and a reduction in outreach to New York’s already hard-to-count populations. The outcome of these changes may result in the loss of billions of dollars to New York and the loss of 1-2 congressional seats.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the incumbent in this position. This job description is subject to change as the needs and requirements of the job change. All job offers are contingent on successful completion of a reference check. ABNY is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity. EOE/AA/M/F/V/D/SO. The Association for a Better New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please note: RUBENSTEIN is assisting ABNY and Census 2020 in identifying a person to fill this need, and this is not a contract role with RUBENSTEIN - it is with ABNY. Thank you!
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the incumbent in this position. This job description is subject to change as the needs and requirements of the job change. Salary commensurate with experience. We offer a competitive benefits package. All job offers are contingent on successful completion of a reference check.
Rubenstein is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity. EOE/AA/M/F/V/D/SO.
This is a full time position