Wisdom. Integrity. Vision. Hustle. Know-How. These are our values. If you share them, we want to hear from you.
RUBENSTEIN is seeking a talented, motivated and dynamic Vice President to provide strategic counsel and media relations for a variety of clients in our well established and recognized legal practice group.
Clients include: law firms, practice areas (litigation, white collar, finance, M&A, Private Equity, real estate, bankruptcy, trade, employment, technology, IP, etc.), individual partners, law schools, and related professional service businesses.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is currently remote, and will eventually be located out of our New York City office.
- Craft, manage, and implement innovative public relations programs for clients in the legal and B2B space; convey clients’ key messages through a full range of earned and owned media
- Serve as a day-to-day client contact, where appropriate, continually fostering client-agency relationship, building trust, and anticipating and addressing client needs
- Continuously cultivate effective relationships with legal, business, and trade media
- Write creative and effective press materials, PR plans and other communication materials, as well as award submissions, and digital content as necessary
- Lead media relations efforts and secure media opportunities for clients, generating client coverage across traditional and digital outlets on local and national levels; engage in both proactive and reactive media relations management, including leveraging breaking news opportunities and trend stories
- Position partners as industry experts to generate thought leadership opportunities and enhance brand visibility by identifying trends and issues upon which clients can comment
- Proactively pitch stories ideas/interviews to trade, business and general media, both print, broadcast and digital
- Coordinate high profile interviews, draft messaging and talking points for spokespeople, and provide media training / prep sessions in advance of any media interaction
- Place bylined articles and other client generated content as appropriate
- Publicize litigation wins and deal announcements, law firm hires, successes and pro bono work;
- Navigate highly confidential, sensitive information and issues on behalf of clients with ease and confidence
- Oversee content creation on social media and the distribution of press materials across platforms
- Nimbly work well in a fast-paced environment, within a collaborative team account structure; actively mentor an array of junior staff and guide their ability to meet deadlines, enhance skills and cultivate media relationships
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, presentation, and organizational skills with the ability to quickly digest / understand complicated matters and help boil them down to key messages / actions
- Strong relationships with media outlets on local and national levels; proven record in delivering PR results across print, online and broadcast
- Ability to understand complex legal language, issues and reports, and articulate these into subjects of interest for the media, as well as demonstrated skill in handling C-suite issues and executive positioning
- Excellent, demonstrated writing and analytical skills, with documented ability to craft press releases, media pitches, in-depth PR plans, and strategic communications materials (AP Style knowledge a plus)
- Conversant in current breaking news issues detailed in national publications, particularly in the business section
- Comfortable and confident when dealing with confidential and controversial issues on behalf of clients; experience in dealing with law firms and legal issues required
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with a diverse group of people and audiences; agility and versatility to stretch across client sectors, and the ability to effectively present work to colleagues and clients at all levels
- Understanding of the intersection between traditional and social media and how different outlets can serve different purposes
- Ability to think critically, creatively and develop new and interesting ideas
- Ability to manage time, multi-task and move quickly with efficiency and attention to detail while ensuring deadlines are met
- Familiarity with day-to-day tools such as PowerPoint, MuckRack, Cision, Meltwater, etc.
- 8 – 10 years of client and media relations experience at a PR agency, or on an in-house communications team at a law firm, is preferred
- Direct publicity experience in the legal space is required with the versatility to work across multiple sectors
- College degree preferred – focus in Communications, Journalism, English or a related field is ideal
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the incumbent in this position. This job description is subject to change as the needs and requirements of the job change. Salary commensurate with experience. We offer a competitive benefits package. All job offers are contingent on successful completion of a reference check.
RUBENSTEIN is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity. EOE/AA/M/F/V/D/SO.
This is a full time position