EHS Program Description:
Our Early Head Start offers comprehensive child development and family support services to low-income and underserved populations including expecting mothers, infants, toddlers and their families. In center-based as well as home-based settings we promote infant and toddler health & development, foster positive family relationships and supports parents as the primary decision makers and nurturers of their children. Tools and learning strategies are employed to enable the children to enter school ready to succeed.
EHS CDA Teacher Trainee*
The CDA Teacher Trainee* is responsible for assisting in the implementation of the Early Head Start program, philosophy, and goals in the absence of, or as adjunct to the regular EHS teacher/parent educator. The position shares responsibility for the academic, social, and behavioral operation of the classroom and conducting home visits.
Essential Job Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Supports SCF and EHS policies, procedures, standards of conduct and philosophy of the program
- Assists in the completion of necessary classroom/center duties including
- Assists with the creation and implementation of a developmentally appropriate and culturally sensitive program that supports the child’s social, emotional, cognitive and physical development
- Cleans, sanitizes and helps to maintain a healthy, safe, clean environment inside and outside that ensures comfortable and challenging experiences that meet the changing needs of infants and toddlers
- Partners with other EHS Teachers in maintaining teacher/child ratios by covering for staff during break times
- Oversees and performs meal time tasks (i.e., preparation; service; clean-up)
- Maintains an environment that reflects the home culture of the families being served with the goal of increased understanding of their own culture and the culture of others
- Displays positive guidance and discipline techniques that foster an atmosphere of acceptance that supports positive self esteem
- Supports the classroom/center in any aspect of the program as the need arises and/or as requested by the site supervisor
- Works cooperatively with Early Head Start staff and families
- Assists in maintaining a safe, neat and organized classroom/ visit area
- Participates in developmentally appropriate indoor/outdoor activities
- Adheres to federal, state and local health and safety policies and procedures
- Performs additional duties as assigned which are consistent with the general responsibilities of the position
- Responsible for understanding Early Head Start Performance Standards, Child Care Licensing regulations, and SCF's Policies and Procedures.
- Expected to learn and apply knowledge concerning the regulations associated with prevention of occupational diseases and injury, including the exercise of universal pre-cautions and the prevention of contamination
- Attend all workshops and trainings as deemed necessary by SCF-EHS Management
- Successfully completes and maintains First Aid and CPR certification and other state trainings as required
- Maintains a Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Work Card (Sherriff's Card) for Child Care
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to walk, stand, sit, kneel, reach, stoop, and crouch to interact successfully with infants and/or toddlers throughout assigned work shift.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds including infant and/or toddlers weighing 6 to 50 pounds continuously throughout the day, including diapering, feeding, changing and comforting.
- Tolerate some exposure to communicable diseases.
- Tolerate moderate to loud noise level
- Varied Work Locations
- Variable Work Schedule
- Must have a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent
- Must obtain a Child Development Associate Credential with a focus on Infants/Toddlers and trained in early childhood development within six (6) of hire date
- SCF will pay a portion of the CDA Fees.
- Must have ability to speak read and write English well enough to understand and be understood is necessary
- Must have the ability to gather and interpret moderately complex information
- Must communicate understandable ideas and instructions orally and in written format using English
- Must have the ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide
- Ability to read and understand basic child development written material is required
- Ability to exhibit patience and tact when communicating with children, families, staff, and supervisor is a requirement
- Must display professional behavior in conducting daily activities
- Must be willing to work at any of the Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Henderson or Boulder City Campus as needed
- Must acquire CPR/First Aid Training for Infant/Child/Adult within ninety (90) days of hire date and maintain throughout employment
- Must obtain a Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Work Card (Sheriff's Card) for Child Care prior to hire date and maintain throughout employment
- Must submit negative TB results (One-Step Skin Test or Chest X-Ray) prior to hire date and submit every 2 years of employment
- Must have a physical performed and document submitted prior to hire date and re-submit every 5 years of employment
- Medical benefits eligible if work more than 30 hours/week
- Experience with infants/toddlers in a group setting is preferred
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred
- *Additional Information:
- Also known as Substitute Teacher II (Long Term)
- Must stay enrolled in CDA Program
- Must actively fulfill CDA requirements and complete other necessary training
- Work 30-40 hours per week to complete CDA requirements and gain hands-on experience in the classroom
- Varied Work Locations
- If position requirements are not maintained, employee may be subject to a transfer into a Substitute Teacher I position, reduced work hours and loss of benefits.
This description lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Incumbent(s) may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this document and may be required to have specific job-related certifications, knowledge and skills.
This is a non-management position
This is a full time position
Subscribe to be notified of new jobs