EHS Program Description:
Our Early Head Start offers comprehensive child development and family support services to low-income and underserved populations including expecting mothers, infants, toddlers and their families. In center-based as well as home-based settings we promote infant and toddler health & development, foster positive family relationships and supports parents as the primary decision makers and nurturers of their children. Tools and learning strategies are employed to enable the children to enter school ready to succeed.
Substitute Teacher I
The EHS Substitute Teacher is responsible for assisting in the implementation of the Early Head Start program, philosophy, and goals in the absence of, or as adjunct to the regular EHS teacher/parent educator. The position shares responsibility for the academic, social, and behavioral operation of the classroom and conducting home visits.
Essential Job Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Supports SCF and EHS policies, procedures, standards of conduct and philosophy of the program
- Assists in the completion of necessary classroom/center/ home base duties
- Works cooperatively with Early Head Start staff and families
- Assists in maintaining a safe, neat and organized classroom/ visit area
- Participates in developmentally appropriate indoor/outdoor activities
- Adheres to federal, state and local health and safety policies and procedures
- Performs additional duties as assigned which are consistent with the general responsibilities of the position
Non-Essential Job Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Responsible for understanding Early Head Start Performance Standards, Child Care Licensing regulations, and SCF's Policies and Procedures.
- Successfully completes and maintains First Aid and CPR certification and other state trainings as required
- Maintain a Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Work Card (Sherriff's Card) for Child Care
â€‹Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
- Must be able to able to walk, stand, sit, kneel, reach, stoop, and crouch to interact successfully with infants and/or toddlers throughout assigned work shift.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds including infant and/or toddlers weighing 6 to 50 pounds continuously throughout the day, including diapering, feeding, changing and comforting.
- Tolerate some exposure to communicable diseases.
- Tolerate moderate to loud noise level.
- Flexible work schedule up to 29 hours per week or 129 hours per month
- If interested in working more than 29 hours per week, substitute teachers are eligible to apply for our teacher training program within 90 days of hire date
- Must be at least 16 years old (State Licensing Requirements)
- Must have ability to speak read and write English well enough to understand and be understood is necessary
- Must have the ability to gather and interpret moderately complex information
- Must communicate understandable ideas and instructions orally and in written format using English
- Must have the ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide
- Ability to read and understand basic child development written material is required
- Ability to exhibit patience and tact when communicating with children, families, staff, and supervisor is a requirement
- Must display professional behavior in conducting daily activities
- Must acquire CPR/First Aid Training for Infant/Child/Adult within ninety (90) days of hire date
- Must obtain a Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Work Card (Sheriff's Card) for Child Care prior to hire date
- Must submit negative TB results (One-Step Skin Test or Chest X-Ray ) prior to hire date
- Must have a physical performed and document submitted prior to hire date
- Must have valid driver's license (to cover home-based position) and reliable transportation
- Experience with infants/toddlers in a group setting is preferred
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred
This is a continuous recruitment for an applicant pool to fill temporary Substitute Teacher I vacancies on an as needed basis. SCF will refer to the pool of part-time applications on file, as needed, to fill vacancies.
This is a non-management position
This is a temporary position