Position Title: Materials Manager
Reports To: Chief Operating Officer
Materials Manager is responsible for a wide variety of accountabilities and functions across manufacturing operations. Generally these activities support the management of inventory planning and sourcing [raw materials up to the machining/manufacturing actions] and [finished goods, once raw materials have received added labor value]; and continues through delivery of finished products to the customer.
- Lead and Manage multiple functional departments via direct reports [functional department Managers]
- Establish and monitor the culture and activities that support high inventory accuracy [company-wide] of both raw materials and finished goods.
- Ensure existence of a supportive and reactive supply chain for all materials provided to the operations via outside Suppliers. [Achieving High Quality and OTD]
- Maintain current information on company Quality program and lead direct reports through ISO / API code expectations and performance as well as repetitive Quality Audits.
- Use creative skills and leadership to identify develop and manage multiple projects [corporate wide] that are needed and/or requested by Executive management to enhance and maintain a growing and prosperous business. This includes budgeting and resource approval per project.
- Understand lead and guide teams in the development activation and daily operation of proven manufacturing methodologies such as “Materials Resource Planning”, “Lean Manufacturing Concepts”; specifically “Lean Cellular Manufacturing” throughout the business operations.
- Identifies process and quality changes designed to improve manufacturing or department capabilities. Drives Lean, Safety and Quality with leadership skills. Takes corrective actions.
- Provides direction to employees according to established policies and management guidance. Administers company policies that directly affect subordinate employees.
- Cultivates personnel to include training and career development; oversees the performance management process to encompass the development of team and individual goals, implementing employee development plans, and coaching. Manages the employee selection, hiring, reward and discipline processes.
- Fully embrace and promote “Safety” throughout each department and within each direct report. Be a catalyst to promote all levels of safety throughout the corporation.
- Slowly and gently adjust the company culture if needed and as needed to support the company’s mission and the Owners business vision.
Summary of Duties:
- Manage all facets of inventory control including: Forecasting, Planning, Purchasing including QC and OTD of purchased goods as well as Warehousing, Assembly and Customer/Supplier Logistics.
- Develop and implement objectives goals and tactics to improve the operation and efficiency of the Materials Department. Close this loop with communication of statistical performance measurements.
- Develop track and regularly report appropriate KPI’s across the Materials Management function to Executive Management while also keeping peers staff and subordinates updated with performance results; both positive as well as negative.
- Coach guide and train the staff in strategic planning and execution of proven inventory practices while directing all functions in meeting and exceeding customer and management quality and delivery expectations. Eliminate waste at every step, both visible and hidden.
- Oversee the creation and maintenance of a highly qualified and responsive “Approved Suppliers List” which supports the goals and expectations of management and meets our customer needs.
- Build strong and profitable Supply Chain partnerships that support short term material flow and quality supply as well as long term business and supply chain longevity.
- Monitor contract agreements for accuracy and material flow, including support in negotiations of contracts and the development of new Supplier partnerships that support company objectives.
- Train and support direct reports around the BMS [Business Management System] focused on quality accuracy and completeness to current ISO / API codes as well as any new code standards being pursued by the business.
- Review daily the status of each open project and tract needed activities to insure proper progress is being made.
- Talk with employees throughout all departments; listen and learn what they are saying they need. Gather information and determine if these needs are justifiable. Test data against corporate direction and mission and create a new project if information justifies. Lead direct reports to support the needs of their employees as it relates to specific department capabilities.
- Monitor the daily / weekly production schedules reviewing conformity of materials and capacity availability ensuring the customer’s order will be met on time and on quality as promised.
- Develop track and communicate key organization performance metrics to meet or exceed expectations and drive continuous improvement throughout operations.
- Perform all other duties as necessary or as assigned.
- Bachelor degree in Business required with MBA a plus. Focus on Management skills preferred.
- APICS CPIM or higher Certification strongly preferred.
- Other APICS, LEAN Implementation or Lean Cellular Manufacturing concepts/practice or modern manufacturing related Certifications preferred.
- Minimum of 5 – 7 years related Materials Management strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 10 successful years Supervisory / Management of multiple function personnel strongly preferred.
- Majority of work is within office and conference rooms.
- Factory is metal machining / coating of multiple size and lengths of high yield tubing
- Very little if any traveling
- Full mobility and ability to participate in normal activity.
- Substantial office time and extensive computer use is common
Job Skills/Tools Required:
- Must possess a competent level of computer skills including the use of all Microsoft Office products along with the ability to learn and perfect the use of the company Material Management system.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships both internally and externally.
- Minimum of 8 – 10 years ERP practice a must, with system implementation capability a plus
- Demonstrates ability to speak, listen and communicate with Executive Management as well as peers, staff and subordinates as well as Shop Floor employees throughout the Operations.
- Well experienced and seasoned in sound and currently accepted manufacturing methodologies
- Ability to teach and train others in new concepts and best practices
- Ability to multi task from all levels of operations
- Understanding of normal HR policies and practices, possess ability to manage employee relations and be capable of addressing critical and possibly career ending crisis with grace and respect for all parties
- Experienced and possess capabilities to participate in extensive Executive Management meetings and influence proper decision making discussions in supporting business operations.
- Self-motivated and offers extensive leadership across multi-levels of the organization with focus on business initiatives and sound profitability.
This is a management position
This is a full time position
Visit Careers at Schnake Turnbo Frank