This position manages all K-12 direct sales activities in the California Territory and is responsible for achieving yearly sales targets by developing a strategic regional action plan, including tactics and milestones. This position is responsible for meeting with K-12 customer decision-makers, developing sales opportunity pipeline, tracking and reporting market trends and sales progress, writing proposals and contracts, monitoring customer satisfaction and closing sales.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Regional Sales Responsibilities
- Sets up two 3-5 day business trips per month consisting of 3 to 5 meetings per day with key decision makers.
- Uses a consultative sales approach to match ASCD products and services with customer needs with perspective, past and current ASCD customers.
- Establishes short and long-term sales strategies for accounts; analyzes and understands sales reports and retains a database of sales opportunities; maintains account records; makes appropriate recommendations and modifications to sales activities and regional sales plans.
- Gathers and provides competitive and visitation information from customers that benefit ASCD in the development of new products, programs, and services, while at the same time offers customers solutions from the wide array of ASCD programs, products, and services that can address their professional development needs.
- Maintains ongoing, high-level knowledge of ASCD products and services and sales and marketing models and processes, as well as an awareness of markets, competitor activities, and contacts within assigned area; recognizes and reports relevant sales and market trends in their regions.
- Manages and conducts special marketing and sales projects as assigned.
- A four-year college degree in a relevant field of study is preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of setting up multiple day business trips
- In-depth knowledge of a proven sales process and use of sales techniques.
- Extensive knowledge of the pre-K–12 market.
- Knowledge and use of online sales management applications highly desirable.
- Ability to self-teach and show continuous improvement.
Skills and Abilities
- Superior organizational, presentation, and communication skills.
- A superior listener with the ability to analyze needs and recommend solutions
- A self-starter who works well independently and understands the value of persistence.
- Ability to establish relational trust, internally and externally.
- Ability to manage and prioritize opportunities within a large geographic region.
- Ability to use lead management software applications.
- Ability to create and manipulate Excel spreadsheets and develop and publish Word documents.
- Ability to present to large groups at conferences and demonstrate online products.
- Capacity to understand and effectively interpret the clients’ political culture to the extent necessary to close a sales opportunity.
- Ability to collaborate internally with peers and others across organizational work groups.
- Ability to learn and use web-based office applications for online collaboration and document/content management.
- Four years of’ related sales experience is required.
- Three to five years’ experience in the education market is highly desirable.
- Normal demands associated with a deadline-driven office environment.
- The noise level is generally quiet to moderate.
- Daily contact with external customers, vendors, colleagues, associates, supervisors, and staff at all levels of the organization
- Ability to communicate and exchange information with others.
- Ability to perceive and inspect records in a document management system.
- Ability to operate general office equipment.
- Ability to travel 18 to 20 business trips per year (50%). Travel is within or outside of the sales territory.
- Ability to lift, carry, move, or position objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
Salary up to $90,000 + Commission
This position description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
Key Position Designation: Certain positions are essential to providing immediate and continuing support for operations or support functions during an emergency or building closure. Employees who hold these positions may be required to work (at their worksite or remotely) when other employees are not required above. Please refer to the General Information section above to determine whether this position is considered a key position.
This is a non-management position
This is a full time position