At the foot of majestic Aspen Mountain and steps from the heart of town, the Hotel Jerome offers guests an incomparable setting for an ideal getaway whatever the season. A model example of thoughtful historic preservation, our hotel in Aspen elegantly blends the comfort, convenience and understated luxury of today’s finest Aspen boutique hotels with an authentic mountain aesthetic and spirit. World-class dining and spa offerings contribute to a truly elevated and unique experience.
Hotel Jerome is the iconic hotel of the American West and social hub of Aspen: warm, friendly and busting with life and laughter. Charming and full of personality, this is the place where great stories are born and told. Hotel Jerome is rich in history, yet relevant and current with its amenities and furnishings. Charismatic, with a bit of whimsy, friendly and genuine. Hotel Jerome is the sought-out atmosphere for “explorers” of body, mind and spirit.
Aspen’s crown jewel offers the perfect retreat from which to explore the region’s abundant outdoor attractions and world-class dining and shopping. This landmark hotel is renowned among luxury hotels in Aspen for its relaxed elegance, gracious service and authentic mountain spirit. Discover luxurious accommodations, a variety of dining options and the modern amenities of a world-class, luxury boutique hotel in Aspen.
Located in the heart of town, the 97-room Hotel Jerome, Auberge Resorts Collection, continues to retain its identity as one of the great hotels of the American West. This year, Aspen’s legendary crown jewel, unveiled new social spaces including a renovated Aspen Times newspaper building, residential-style suites facing Ajax Mountain and a sultry underground bar – Bad Harriet. The 130-year-old historic landmark boasts luxurious, contemporary accommodations and modern amenities that honor the property’s iconic mountain spirit. Considered as one of Aspen’s favorite places since it opened in 1889 at the height of Aspen’s boomtown silver-mining era, the hotel features Prospect, an American bistro; après-ski favorite – the Living Room bar and lounge; the award-winning Auberge Spa; and the legendary J-Bar, which is lauded as an Aspen institution. Hotel Jerome was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986
Plan, prepare, set up and provide high quality service in all areas of food production for menu items and specials in designated outlets on and off property. Direct, train and supervise performance of all Cooks and Stewards. Maintain organization, cleanliness and sanitation of all food related work areas and equipment.
- Maintain and strictly abide by state sanitation/health regulations and resort requirements strictly enforce policy with all members of the culinary team - KEEP YOUR KITCHEN CLEAN!
- Manage culinary area and staff assigned; Banquet, Breakfast/lunch, Dinner, Prep & Stewarding. Communicate problems and concerns promptly with the Chef de Cuisine.
- Maintain complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of equipment; use equipment and tools only as intended, safely and properly.
- Maintain complete knowledge of and direct compliance with all departmental/resort policies and procedures.
- Meet with Chef de Cuisine to review assignments, anticipated business levels, changes and other information pertinent to job performance and direction of culinary associates.
- Work with Chef de Cuisine on menu changes and enhancements.
- Attend and contribute to monthly culinary meetings
- Review banquet event orders and make note of any changes; post all function orders for each respective 7 day week.
- Ensure that scheduled staff has reported to work; document, and, if necessary, discipline, any late or absent associates.
- Coordinate breaks for scheduled staff, as necessary.
- Prepare/assign production and prep work for all Cooks and inspect for completion.
- Prioritize all tasks and ensure they are completed in a correct and timely fashion.
- Communicate additions and changes to daily kitchen assignments before or as they arise during each shift.
- Ensure that all shift(s) complete all mise en place necessary to conduct their respective service.
- Ensure that staff completes functions in a timely fashion for the required service.
- Ensure completion of opening duties:
- Inspect and maintain the cleanliness and organization of kitchen and all workstations. Rectify any deficiencies.
- Check P.O.S. terminals and ensure that ALL printers have paper and are in working order.
- Inform Chef de Cuisine and/or Front of the House Manager and service staff of any shortages or 86’d items affecting the restaurant menu(s). Keep Front of House abreast of quantities of any specials or items that may run out BEFORE they run out.
- Conduct daily line up with all front and back of house Team Members. Communicate all necessary information necessary for the day’s service
- Assist Cooks whenever necessary to ensure the highest quality items are reaching our guests. Assistance should be given BEFORE a situation becomes critical.
- Organize and maintain production via prep lists and/or production lists as formulated by the Chef de Cuisine.
- Maintain proper storage of all products as specified by Health Department, Exec. Chef and Hotel Jerome requirements.
- Direct and assist stewards in order to make clean-up efficient.
- Minimize waste and maintain controls in product utilization in order to attain forecasted food cost.
- Supervise breakdown work station and completion closing duties according to department standards:
- Assist with any food ordering and inventories
- Conduct associate reviews with the assistance of the Chef de Cuisine and/or Human Resources, make pay change suggestions.
- Participate in and support resort and company efforts towards sustainability and environmental initiatives as part of the Planet Auberge program.
- 2 years minimum experience as a Junior Sous Chef in a Fine Dining environment.
- Ability to competently work all stations in kitchen.
- Food handling certificate.
- Able to compute basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to communicate in English with co-workers, guests and management to their understanding.
- Ability to provide legible communication.
- Versatility, discipline, organization, strong work ethic and sense of teamwork.
- High School diploma or equivalent vocational training certificate.
- Prior Sous Chef or supervisory experience.
- Certification of culinary training or apprenticeship.
- Ability to communicate in a second language, preferably Spanish.
- Current sanitation training certificate
- Ability to perform job functions with attention to detail, speed and accuracy.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, delegate work and follow through.
- Ability to think clearly, remain calm and resolve problems using good judgment.
- Ability to motivate staff and maintain a cohesive team
- Ability to promote positive work relationships with service personnel and all other departments
- Ability to work well under pressure of meeting production schedules and timelines as they pertain to delivering quality food service to resort guests and owners.
- Ability to promote training needs and provide such training.
- Ability to resolve problems and exercise good judgment.
- Attention to detail, speed and accuracy.
- Ability to work a 12 hour shift.
- Ability to respond to emergency situations and remain calm.
- Ability to function well under pressure and meet production schedules and deadlines.
- Ability to work with all products and food ingredients involved.
- Ability to use all senses to ensure quality standards are met.
- Ability to operate, clean and maintain all equipment required in job functions.
- Ability to perform job functions without direct supervision.
- Must possess a comprehensive understanding of all facets of an A La Carte
- kitchen, as well as a Full Service Resort or Resort kitchen; this includes but is not limited to proficiency in cooking meat, fish, vegetables, stock and sauce making, intermediate or greater command of butchery, organizing and executing banquets or other private dining functions, basic expediting skills.
At Auberge, we are passionate about our mission to be the best loved operator of one-of-a-kind luxury properties and experiences. We are storytellers and story-makers, delivering simple pleasures and creating indelible memories. Born in Napa and inspired by the most relaxing places in the world, we prize simplicity, comfort and beauty. Whatever role we play in Auberge, and wherever we reside and work, we all live by the view that our core purpose is to enrich people’s lives.
If that philosophy resonates with you and you feel that our approach is aligned with your own passions and beliefs, then please talk to us about becoming part of our family.
About Auberge Resorts Collection:
Auberge Resorts is a collection of exceptional hotels, resorts, and private clubs, each with a unique personality that assures a memorable guest experience. Property accolades include Michelin Star, Forbes 5 Star and Relais & Chateaux. With 19 distinctive properties in pristine locations including Napa Valley, New England, Colorado, Fiji, Greece, Mexico, Anguilla, and Costa Rica, Auberge Resorts offers handcrafted careers to exceptional professionals with a heart for hospitality and a passion for joy and happiness.
This is a management position
This is a management positions position
Subscribe to be notified of new jobs