The Head Teacher (HT) is responsible for the implementation, smooth running, administration and successful delivery of all aspects of the academic program.
The HT is required to live at the center, have knowledge of the city/cities that one is working in and expected to fulfill a demanding workload. We have positions available in six different locations across the United States (near Boston, Los Angeles, New York City, San Francisco and New Haven, CT).
- Implementation and overall day-to-day management of all aspects of the academic program.
- Manage and motivate teaching staff. Create a positive, enthusiastic team to deliver a high quality program that ensures student satisfaction.
- Manage, train and regularly observe and appraise teaching staff.
- Provide support and guidance on all aspects of lesson preparation and delivery.
- Organize and manage the placement and exit testing of students, academic time-tabling, course planning, student questionnaire analysis and student certificate delivery.
- Monitor teaching staff levels to ensure that the appropriate staffing levels are maintained.
- Ensure that all lessons start and end on time.
- Check class registers daily to ensure student attendance.
- Source materials for the excursion lessons from the excursion booklets. Assist teachers with planning lessons prior to excursions.
- Handle any student or foreign group leader inquiries on academic matters.
- Teach when required to meet operational demands.
- Liaise with the Activities Manager (AM) and the Excursions Manager (EM) to ensure that the activities program and academic program are integrated successfully.
- Assist the Center Director (CD) with set up, closing and the day-to-day running of the center.
- Make certain that Ardmore Language School's Health & Safety policies are implemented and adhered to at all times.
All staff should show respect for the opinions and feelings of students, foreign group leaders and colleagues no matter what their religion, race, age background, gender or sexual orientation.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
- CELTA or Trinity TESOL qualification and Masters in Education
- English mother tongue
- Minimum of three years' teaching experience
- Ability to lead and manage an academic team
- Ability to mentor and guide newly qualified teachers
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Proven leadership skills
- Professional in appearance
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- Eligible to live and work in the US
RECOMMENDED QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
- Diploma level qualified* (DELTA or Dip TESOL)
- Previous residential experience
- Previous experience in continuous enrollment courses
*In the absence of Diploma qualification (DELTA) or similar qualifications, experience in the field of academic management will be reviewed and considered.
**On completing an application form, you will be required to declare any criminal convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings, and any subsequent information that will affect your suitability for the role. Successful applicants may be subject to a background check.
Successful applicants will be required to attend training prior to the beginning of the program.
This job description summarizes the purpose of the job and lists its key tasks; it is not a definitive list of all the tasks to be undertaken as those can be varied from time to time at the discretion of the Center Director. Ardmore will exercise this right reasonably.
This is a management position
This is a residential position