The Activity Leader (AL) is responsible for the smooth and successful delivery of the activities program and cultural excursions (coordinated by the Activities Manager (AM) and the Excursion Manager (EM)). The AL ensures students are motivated and all activities are run to a high standard. The AL is responsible for making sure that all students are involved in the various activities and cultural excursions paying special attention to individual students.
It is preferred that the AL lives on campus but non-residential positions can be discussed dependent on applicant. The AL is also expected to have knowledge of the city/cities that one is working in. We have several positions available ranging in length from one to six weeks in different locations across the United States (near Boston, Los Angeles, New York City, San Francisco and New Haven, CT).
- Organize and implement a wide range of activities during morning, afternoon and evening sessions as directed by the AM. Participate in, lead and supervise activities.
- Organize and supervise excursions as directed by the EM.
- Attend all excursion, activity and staff meetings.
- Research excursion destinations in order to inform students effectively.
- Play a pivotal role in guiding and organizing students on excursions.
- Maintain appropriate levels of student discipline, safety and welfare during activities and excursions.
- Conduct head counts on a constant basis during excursions to ensure all students are accounted for and to allocate meeting points for the students after periods of free time.
- Promote the weekly activity program.
- Be enthusiastic and motivated in delivering the activity program.
- Applicants holding special qualifications may be required to undertake responsibilities such as pool duties, sports coaching and first aid provision.
- Make certain that students attend the set activities and excursions. Maintain accurate attendance records.
- Prepare each activity session with proper equipment and ensure it is returned. Report any damaged or missing items to the AM.
- Engage and encourage students in English during activities and excursions so they get the most out of the different facets of the program.
- Assist in the opening and closing of the center as directed by the Center Director (CD)/AM and accounting for the return of all equipment at the end of the course to the AM.
- Carry out residential duties on a rota basis, including meal and bedtime supervision, room checks and additional duties as required.
- Ensure that individual students are integrated with other students in activities and on excursions.
- Report to the AM with concerns about any students appearing unhappy, not joining in, misbehaving, etc.
All staff should show respect for the opinions and feelings of students, foreign group leaders and colleagues no matter what their religion, race, age background, gender or sexual orientation.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
- Ability to motivate and enjoy working with large groups of children / teenagers
- Excellent organizational and communication skills and level of fluency in English
- Outgoing personality
- Flexible and adaptable
- Enthusiastic team player
- Ability to work in a high pressure environment
- Professional in appearance
- Eligible to live and work in the US
RECOMMENDED QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
- Previous experience working with children / teenagers
- Competent athlete with excellent knowledge of rules and organization of sports / games
- Experience and interest in activities such as sports, drama, arts and crafts, etc.
- Previous summer camp or residential school experience
- First Aid qualification
- Lifeguard / Coaching qualification
**On completing an application form, you will be required to declare any criminal convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings, and any subsequent information that will affect your suitability for the role. Successful applicants may be subject to a background check.
This job description summarizes the purpose of the job and lists its key tasks; it is not a definitive list of all the tasks to be undertaken as those can be varied from time to time at the discretion of the Center Director. Ardmore will exercise this right reasonably.
This is a non-management position
This is a residential position
Start date: 6/30/19
End date: 8/11/19