The Wastewater Treatment/Environmental Technician is responsible for performing a wide variety of duties related to environmental surveillance to the Pacific Cast Products facility, and surrounding areas. Incumbents will participate in preventive action to protect the environment and ensure compliance to specified environmental programs including wastewater, hazardous waste, and spill team.
- Perform wastewater treatment, sampling, testing, and data analysis, and monitor wastewater permit compliance.
- Implement permit requirements including inspections and calibrations, and gain certification(s) to perform surveillance, and other aspects under local, state, and federal regulations, ensuring the facility meets strict compliance requirements.
- Recognize and report process deviations, and assist with diagnosis and correction of safety/process/quality problems.
- Assists in training Environmental Operators to wastewater treatment plan to operation and controls, and other duties as assigned by the Sr. Leader, EH&S.
- Provide both internal and external customer support in support of operating departments related to effluent management and discharge, hazardous waste, and spill response.
- Gain proficiency in RCRA to ensure compliance with hazardous and other waste regulations.
- May be required to lead spill team training or exercises.
- Routinely oversees the safe loading and loading of hazardous and non-hazardous materials.
- Routinely performs hazardous waste inspections and shipments, and ensure compliance to hazardous waste regulations.
- Routinely ensures instrument calibrations and maintenance of other instruments.
- Routinely performs equipment take down and maintenance for, along with jetting and other services.
- Occasionally services bag houses, loads wood waste boxes, services scrap and other recyclables, and other environmental duties.
- Complete special projects and participate in continuous improvement activities.
- Perform storm water inspections, opacity readings, and spill prevention.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities typically required to perform the essential functions of this job:
- Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook). Knowledge of SharePoint is preferred
- Hazardous waste and DOT regulations.
- Wastewater treatment including clarifiers, industrial pretreatment, and/or floc tanks.
- SCADA monitoring systems.
- Work around hazardous chemicals and have a clear understanding of chemical aspects and impact. Assist in response and clean-up of hazardous material spills or incidents.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member using critical thinking skills to troubleshoot equipment upsets and take corrective action.
- Operate a forklift.
- Represent the Pacific Cast Products EHS Department.
- Plan, organize, and control multiple activities simultaneously.
- Apply regulations with training, and/or written technical information.
- Write procedures or Standard Task Plans, perform hazard assessments and evaluation of job tasks.
- Interact effectively with employees and agency representatives.
- Lead change management for environmental compliance and safety.
- Perform the job safely, adhering to all safety training, and promoting safety through leadership as an EHS representative.
Education, Certifications and Experience:
- A two-year degree in Water and Wastewater Treatment, Treatment Certificate is required, and;
- Candidates must meet one or more of the following qualifications:
- Completion of an internship for a municipality,
- Experience working for a city Publicly Owned Treatment Works facility.
- An Associate’s Degree in an Environmental Science field, or similar trade field with mechanical experience
- Mechanical or chemical experience working in a mechanical or chemical handling field or industrial setting where experience/skills may apply
This is a non-management position
This is a full time position
Subscribe to be notified of new jobs