Lab Technician/ Lead Metallographer
If you looking for a stable company and opportunities for growth and advancement, then Selmet may be the right fit for you! We have been in business in Albany, OR since 1983 and are a world-class supplier of titanium castings for the aerospace industry. We are conveniently located off I-5 for easy access from surrounding areas. If you are selected to join our team you will enjoy benefits such as profit participation, medical, dental, vision, 401(k), life insurance, and other great benefits!
The Lead Metallographer guides less experienced lab techs and performs production chemistry analysis, metallography, gas composition, and tensile strength testing on titanium specimens in Selmet’s state of the art metals testing lab.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support team of laboratory technicians to meet daily performance goals under the direction of laboratory supervisor.
- Expertly prepare metallographic mounts through polish and chemical etch process.
- Evaluate grain structure and surface contamination and capture images with high resolution/magnification digital microscopic
- Perform production chemistry, final gas, and tensile analysis on titanium using state of the art equipment.
- Operate CNC lathe to produce tensile specimens.
- Analyze tensile specimens up to 60,000 lbs of force to measure ultimate tensile strength, yield strength and elongation.
- Understand specifications and certify results to all applicable standards.
- Review and certify results and perform data entry for all test results generated in Selmet Lab and outside Labs.
- Inspect samples for compliance to customers' specification surface requirements.
- Communicate results to production staff.
- Complete job order forms.
- Reports to laboratory supervisor or designee
- Other duties as assigned
- Follows all lab procedures and standard operations
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- 6 years of full-time lab experience (metallurgy preferred)
- 2 years evaluating metallographic samples.
- Verifiable experience with leading teams.
- Must be flexible with work content and demands while staying focused.
- Strong attention to detail and quality driven with a desire to win.
- Must be organized and able to carry out tasks by priority with under minimal supervision of laboratory supervisor.
- Must be proficient with computer programs; MS office tools, outlook, excel, access.
- Data entry skills
- Motivated self-starter
- HS diploma or equivalent GED required.
- Minimum of College algebra level math required (Math skills test or transcripts may be required)
- Associates level or equivalent in chemistry or related field from accredited college or university preferred but demonstrable, relevant experience will be considered in lieu of degree or certificate.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be willing to undergo a pre-employment background check.
- Must be willing to participate in pre-employment and periodic drug screening.
- Climate controlled lab may be noisy at times. Hearing protection required for some operations. Job may require standing for long periods of time.
- Scheduled hours may fluctuate depending upon workload and production requirements.
- Overtime is required as needed. Weekend shifts as needed.
Consolidated Precision Products (CPP) is an industry-leading manufacturer of highly-engineered
components and sub-assemblies, supplying the commercial aerospace, military and industrial markets with small-to-large “function critical” products. CPP provides its customers with a “total solution” source, taking them from concept to finished product with one of the broadest and most diverse product offerings in the industry. More information about our company can be found at: http://www.cppcorp.com/
CPP Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits, hires, trains, and promotes employees in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, disability, veteran's status, or other legally protected status.
This is a non-management position
This is a full time position
Subscribe to be notified of new jobs