We are looking for a Pastry Cook to work in our pastry kitchen. This position requires a person who possesses not just excellent pastry skills, but in our effort to create a destination restaurant, the pastry cook is pivotal in maintaining a well organized station for preparing and presenting products of the highest quality. The pastry cook must work closely with the pastry chef, chef, sous chefs, and all other kitchen staff to create a tightly knit group of professionals who present a unified team. Above all, the line cook must do all to contribute to an environment where professionalism, cooperation, and enthusiasm can flourish among the restaurant staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Prepare pastries according to recipe and restaurant specifications in a timely and efficient manner.
- Follow Pastry Chef’s direction to manage all aspects of your station.
- Arrive as scheduled for a.m. or p.m. kitchen meeting. Report to chef. Be prepared to take notes from meeting and carry out chef’s direction.
- Check station for crossover from last shift using prep lists and verbal communication to set priorities for you shift.
- Each shift is responsible for checking and maintaining a high level of quality of products and equipment on their station. Bringing any problems or shortages to the pastry chef’s attention.
- Set up station according to menu needs and be set for service time.
- Prep food products according to reservations for shift . Use proper rotation, first in first out. Checking for quality. Prevent food waste.
- Perform correct cooking techniques specific to your station.
- Understand how to use, operate, clean and care for all kitchen equipment.
- Maintain an organized and clean work area at all times. Observe good sanitation practice and safety procedures. Wear gloves when possible.
- Report the breakage, loss, or theft of any restaurant property.
- Stock and maintain sufficient levels of mise en place at stations to assure a smooth service and transition period.
- Understand completely all policies, procedures, standards, specifications, guidelines and training programs.
- Check out with pastry chef daily before leaving your shift.
- Other ad-hoc duties as needed.
ESSENTIAL WORK SKILLS:
- Daily duties may also include but are not limited to unpacking and stocking kitchen deliveries, and assigned cleaning duties.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- A degree in Culinary Arts with 2 to 5 years experience or on the job training as a pastry cook in a fine dining restaurant.
- Good knowledge of hot and cold pastry preparations. Knife skills and cooking terms essential. Knowledge of sanitation rules essential.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions; and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit, reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance.
- The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 25-50 pounds.
About Cavallo Point
Cavallo Point is a San Francisco Bay area luxury lodge in one of America's most popular national parks. It's one of the most romantic destinations in the area and a great springboard for Northern California adventures. In addition to being a member of Historic Hotels of America, this San Francisco luxury resort was named one of the "Top 10 New American Landmarks" by Travel+Leisure and also received LEED Gold Certification for its environmentally sustainable design and construction.
About Our Benefits
Here are some of the benefits available to qualifying employees:
- Generous Paid Time Off program
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision coverage
- 401k Retirement Option
- Job training
- Promotion from within
- Employee discounts on Dining, Spa, and Hotel stays
This is a non-management position
This is a full time position
Pay Scale: $26.50 per hour