Seeking an restaurant-experienced Wine Director for Murray Circle Restaurant and CP Wine Group at Cavallo Point Lodge. The incumbent will lead a talented wine service team and supervise a state-of-the-art cellar. Cavallo Point's Wine Spectator Grand Award-winning wine list is comprised of over 2,200 selections from 25 countries, with vintages dating back to 1922. The Wine Director leads the wine program for the restaurant and is responsible for assuring that the printed and on-line wine lists are continuously updated, cellars are well maintained, operations meet and exceed profitability targets, and the reputation of the wine program continues at a high level. This is a fabulous opportunity for a wine professional with a passion for hospitality!
ESSENTIAL WORK SKILLS
- Passion for hospitality, sales and service of fine wines
- 3-5 years’ experience in recommending wine to consumers in a hospitality setting.
- Extensive knowledge of wines including wine characteristics, wineries, regions, varietals, food and wine pairing and wine service
- Mathematical and organization skills sufficient to conduct accurate inventories
- Ability to manage substantial wine inventories while maximizing profitability
- Strong desire and ability to teach, inform and entertain others about wine characteristics, wineries, regions, varietals, wine service and food and wine pairing
- Working knowledge and skill using wine inventory systems such as Bin Wine Lists and point of sale systems such as Micros
- Knowledge of current wine trends and ability to apply successful marketing techniques
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to form strong relationships with others
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work as a team and assist FOH management in daily restaurant operations as needed
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university in wine or hospitality/ restaurant management or equivalent; OR
- Minimum five years related experience as a sommelier with responsibility for managing a substantial budget; OR
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Completion of Advanced wine training through the Court of Master Sommeliers or equivalent reputable certification program is preferred.
Able to perform all essential duties with or without accommodation including:
- The ability to repetitively maneuver, lift, transport, load and unload cases of wine (approximately 40 pounds) in cold tight spaces with limited lighting and at different levels
- The ability to operate and maneuver full dollies and
- The ability to decant and cork wines
- The ability to stand and move around dining room floor for full shifts
- Must be able to lift, stack and store in racking full wine cases.
About Our Benefits
Here are some of the benefits available to qualifying employees:
- Generous Paid Time Off program
- Health Insurance
- 401k Retirement Option
- Five star hospitality training
- Opportunity for advancement
- Employee discount programs
- Free parking
About Cavallo Point
Cavallo Point Lodge is a San Francisco Bay area luxury lodge located at the foot of the Golden Gate Bridge in Sausalito. The Lodge offers luxury accommodations, fine dining, healing arts center and spa, cooking school and meeting facilities. In addition to being a member of Historic Hotels of America, Cavallo Point Lodge was named one of the "Top 10 New American Landmarks" by Travel+Leisure and also received LEED Gold Certification for its environmentally sustainable design and construction.
This is a management position
This is a full time position