This is an environment unlike anything in the high-tech world and the secret of Costco Travel’s success is its culture. The value Costco and Costco Travel puts on its employees is well documented in articles from a variety of publishers including Bloomberg and the Motley Fool. At Costco Travel, every job is important and every employee is important. Our own employees are on record enjoying a fast-paced environment, great co-workers, tremendous growth potential, and excellent benefits. Our employees and our members come FIRST. Enjoy the PERKS of working at a travel company with the BEST culture.
As a Website Reliability Developer, you represent Costco Travel’s first line of defense running an industry leading high volume travel E-commerce site 24/7, 365 days a year. As a member of this elite team, you are responsible for responding to all emergencies / code defects / regressions. You are responsible for quickly identifying root causes, and providing corrective action (including specific code fixes, edge case handling, bug fixing, minor improvement, etc.).
As a Developer for Website Reliability, you will have the opportunity to tackle the complex problems of scale. You will design, write and deliver software to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of Costco Travel’s e-commerce portal, solve problems relating to mission critical services and build automation to prevent problem recurrence; with the goal of automating response to all non-exceptional service conditions. You will influence and create new designs, architectures, standards and methods for large-scale distributed systems. Engage in service capacity planning and demand forecasting, software performance analysis and system tuning and conduct periodic on call duties using a follow-the-sun model.
- Very efficiently debug Java multi-threaded code
- Quickly grasp complex code written by other developers
- Have the discipline to reproduce issues to methodically improve the quality of our solutions
- Be ready to respond to critical issues
- Implement code fixes while working with the development team to find the most optimal solution
- Have the ability to provide frequent, clear updates to support engineers so that they can relay status to customers
- Be able to handle complex software working in a distributed environment
- 3 + years of current commercial developer experience with core Java technologies and libraries
- 3 + years of current commercial experience with design and development of web based applications
- 1 + years of current experience with monitoring tools, especially Splunk.
- 3 + years of experience with Java EE technologies (Servlet & JSP)
- 3 + years of experience with Problem Management & IT best practices
- 3 + years of current commercial experience with high volume relational databases (preferably MS-SQL Server)
- Expertise in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems.
- Familiarity with running web services at scale;
- Experience with algorithms, data structures, complexity analysis and software design.
- Networking: knowledge and understanding of network theory, such as different protocols (TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, etc), MAC addresses, IP packets, DNS, OSI layers, and load balancing).
- Systematic problem solving approach, coupled with a strong sense of ownership and drive.
- BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
WE ARE NOT ABLE TO RELOCATE FOR THIS ROLE AND CAN ONLY CONSIDER CANDIDATES THAT DO NOT NEED ANY FORM OF VISA SPONSORSHIP. NO EXTERNAL RECRUITERS OR VENDORS PLEASE.
Department: Information Technology
This is a non-management position
This is a full time position
Subscribe to be notified of new jobs