Provides planned, skilled nursing care for patients in the critical preoperative, postoperative and operative area of the outpatient surgery process. Provides assessment, patient surveillance and timely administration of physician’s orders preparing the patient for surgery. Provides planned, skilled nursing care for patients in the critical postoperative period of the perioperative process. Provides continuous patient surveillance for early recognition and immediate response to medical or surgical complications that may arise in any postoperative patient.
Reports To: Clinical Director
Graduate of accredited school of nursing.
Current State Licensure
Experience in postanesthesia care area
Experience in operating room
Requires constant and frequent judgment and response; occasionally in response to disasters or emergencies, actual events or drills. Requires language skills adequate for high-level verbal or written communication in American English.
Requires high-level visual and auditory acuity for timely response and patient care assessment activities. Requires the ability to move quickly in response to physician and patient needs, to stand for long periods, occasionally overhead and low reaching and to exert force up to 50 lbs. occasionally, up to 20 lbs. frequently and/or up to 10 lbs constantly. Patient care activities require the ability to exert force of up to 30 lbs. constantly, up to 40 lbs. occasionally and up to 100 lbs. rarely.
Category I exposure to bloodborne pathogens, frequent exposure to chemical hazards and may encounter radiation hazards.
Essential Functions and Objectives
Supports the philosophy, goals and objectives of the organization.
- Performs according to approved policies and procedures.
- Participates as a team member in support of the total per-operative process.
- Considers patient rights in performance of job duties and responsibilities.
Acts in accordance with policies and procedures, rules and regulations and laws of all regulatory bodies affecting the operation of the facility. Performs job duties in accordance with professional standards of practice.
Communicates effectively with patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers.
- Participates in committees, conferences and improvement of performance activities.
- Researches and submits pertinent articles for review at staff meetings.
- Maintains membership in relevant professional organizations.
- Seeks new learning experiences by accepting challenging opportunities and responsibilities.
- Objectively evaluates suggestions and criticism and attempts to improve performance or seeks further guidance as needed.
Environment of Care
Adheres to safety policies and procedures in performing job duties and responsibilities.
- Reports observed or suspected safety violations, hazards and policy and procedure non-compliance to the Safety Officer or other designated person.
- Observes safety measures in performance of job duties and responsibilities.
- Responds to emergency situations with competence and composure.
Improvement of Organizational Performance
Contributes to the progress and development of the organization’s adopted Improvement of Performance Program.
- Performs according to established improvement of performance policies and procedures.
- Supports risk management and participates in programs directed to patient and employee safety.
- Objectively evaluates suggestions, grievances and processes to identify opportunities to improve performance and quality of care.
- Participates in data collection activities to support the Performance Improvement Committee.
Management of Organizational Functions
- Organizes nursing activities efficiently, considering staff abilities when delegating activities.
- Uses equipment effectively by anticipating patient needs and providing appropriate care.
- Confirms that proper techniques and procedures are used according to accepted standards of practice.
- Assists in inventory of supplies, drugs and equipment to maintain availability and stock levels in the postoperative area.
- Considers cost effectiveness in the provision of care.
- Maintains order and cleanliness of postoperative area.
This is a full time position
Subscribe to be notified of new jobs