Enanta’s Biology Department is expanding to support a growing portfolio of small molecule discovery programs in Liver Disease and Virology. The Principal Scientist will be responsible for the development and validation of a range of biochemical and biophysical assays to enable Enanta’s medicinal chemistry platform. The Principal Scientist will be expected to manage a small team of internal scientists and develop close working relationships with a network of CROs to deliver reagents, develop high-quality assays, perform mechanism of action studies, integrate SAR data, and generate protein crystallography data.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide biochemistry and enzymology expertise to support Enanta’s small molecule discovery programs
- Oversee the development of medium-to-high throughput plate-based biochemical assays, including direct binding, fluorescence based, and enzymatic assays, to facilitate compound screening and support medicinal chemistry efforts
- Apply a range of biochemical and biophysical techniques to characterize the molecular interaction of novel small molecules with their protein target(s), including surface plasmon resonance (SPR/Biacore) and isothermal titration calorimetry (ITC)
- Work closely with CROs to enable all aspects of the discovery process, including, protein expression and purification, assay development, high-throughput screening, mechanistic studies, and structural biology
- Utilize a variety of techniques, including chemical biology, to characterize compound mechanism of action and identify novel molecular targets
- Provide leadership and mentoring to further develop Enanta’s internal capabilities
- Independently communicate results to cross-functional project teams and update senior management on overall project strategy and goals
Education, prior work experience, and specialized skills and knowledge:
- Ph.D in Biochemistry or related discipline with Post-doc and at least 5 years’ experience in the biopharmaceutical industry
- Significant experience in developing robust plate-based assays to support high-throughput screening or medicinal chemistry efforts with a successful record of compound progression
- Advanced knowledge and demonstrable track record in enzymology and enzyme inhibitor mechanism-of-action studies
- Significant experience with a range of biochemical and bioanalytical techniques, including ligand binding assays, fluorescence resonance energy transfer (FRET), SPR, ITC, MicroScale Thermophoresis (MST)
- Strong understanding of protein expression and purification as well as chemical biology techniques
- Demonstrates broad knowledge in the area of biochemistry and functions as a subject matter expert and technical leader both within and outside of the department
- Ability to write high-quality technical reports as evidenced by a record of scientific publications
How to Apply
Please complete the application below and include the following attachments:
- Cover Letter
- CV / Resume
- Research Summary (if applicable)
Enanta Pharmaceuticals is using its robust, chemistry-driven approach and drug discovery capabilities to become a leader in the discovery and development of small molecule drugs for the treatment of viral infections and liver diseases. Enanta’s research and development efforts are currently focused on the following disease targets: respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH)/ primary biliary cholangitis (PBC), and hepatitis B virus (HBV). Please visit www.enanta.com for more information.
Enanta’s research and development activities are currently funded by royalties from HCV products developed under its collaboration with AbbVie. Glecaprevir, a protease inhibitor discovered by Enanta, is now sold by AbbVie in numerous countries as part of its newest treatment for chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection. This leading HCV regimen is sold under the tradenames MAVYRET™ (U.S.) and MAVIRET™ (ex-U.S.) (glecaprevir/pibrentasvir).
Enanta is located in Watertown, MA, just minutes from Harvard, MIT, and downtown Boston. We offer a competitive compensation program and a comprehensive employee benefits package. For more details, see our Careers page.
Enanta Pharmaceuticals is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religious creed, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other class protected by law.
This is a full time position