One of the great things about being an international real estate company is the variety of career options we can offer our employees. Combined with our investment in your learning and development, we can empower you to achieve your goals.
You could be managing a real estate portfolio for a large pension fund, buying or selling properties, overseeing a development project, managing or leasing a building, or taking on corporate responsibilities related to finance, human resources, sustainability or communications. As careers go, there’s a lifetime of opportunity here.
Where do you see yourself?
We are currently on the hunt for a Development Manager - this is an exciting opportunity to oversee the development process including early design and municipal approvals across all asset classes with a focus on multi-residential. As a leading real estate investment firm, GWLRA has a very active development program, robust future pipeline and a proven track record with high profile projects such as The Livmore & Southcore Financial Centre. You will work on multiple projects, asset classes and across different markets in Eastern Canada (GTA, Ottawa, Montreal). By managing our external project teams you will lead urban intensification projects through high profile entitlements and into construction.
This is truly a unique opportunity to work on large scale complex projects with a top tier real estate investment firm!
Having an understanding of the development cycle and a strong knowledge of real estate management is key. This will be important as you identify and work on challenges & opportunities while asking the appropriate questions throughout the process. You should be a big picture thinker and be able to advocate business goals throughout all stages of a project from feasibility to planning to construction.
A high level of emotional intelligence and strong relationship building abilities will be essential as you interact with clients, the community and related municipal staff and politicians. You should be able to not only commit to the organizations goals and values but also be able to empathize and take into account all stakeholders concerns. You will not only be able to navigate through a complicated approval process but be able to apply business judgement and critical thinking to inform the process.
Key responsibilities include:
- Secure and manage project team(s) of consultants and contractors through the full project approvals process; including official plan amendments, re-zoning, site plan approval, variances, consents and all other regulatory approvals
- Support design during pre-development period and transition project to construction team.
- Manage the submission of complete development approval applications.
- Participate in public meetings and community meetings
- Provide various inputs to proforma budget
- Collaborate with internal development team though project planning and ensure adherence to project goals: schedule, budget and quality benchmarks
- Execute approved project in coordination with the development, communications, portfolio, asset, leasing and property management teams
- Review and analyze provincial and municipal planning initiatives and proposed policy changes
- Assess and advise on development opportunities including intensification, redevelopment and site acquisition
- Provide input to design/planning feasibility analysis to determine constraints and project viability. Includes property research and planning reviews (OP, zoning, guidelines)
- Entrepreneurial minded individual who acts like an “owner” in decision making
- Keen interest in design, intensification, city building, mix use, sustainability & innovation
- University Degree in Urban Planning, Architecture, Real Estate Development or related discipline
- 3 plus years of experience leading planning approvals
- Knowledge of municipal planning frameworks, city guidelines, heritage matters and other municipal matters
- Experience in high density and or urban environments is preferred
- Client focused, can represent the company well, ability to work in groups and strong communication skills
- Able to communicate effectively with stakeholders including, tenants, residents, City staff, local councilor, community, development team and senior management
- Previous experience with development proformas is an asset
Why work for us?
Beyond your paycheque, we invest in your health, well-being and development, and encourage teamwork and collaboration, so you can do your best work and enjoy life to its fullest.
Are you ready to grow your future with us?
Learn more about our team of professionals, and the exciting new opportunities available with GWL Realty Advisors by reviewing our job openings below. Apply today!
We thank all applicants. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
NO RECRUITING AGENCIES PLEASE
GWL Realty Advisors is an equal opportunity employer. It prohibits discrimination based on age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other legally protected class in accordance with applicable federal, provincial and local laws. We are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible workplace. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation during the interviewing process, please let us know
This is a management position
This is a full time position
Subscribe to be notified of new jobs