One of the great things about being an international real estate company is the variety of career options we can offer our employees. Combined with our investment in your learning and development, we can empower you to achieve your goals.
You could be managing a real estate portfolio for a large pension fund, buying or selling properties, overseeing a development project, managing or leasing a building, or taking on corporate responsibilities related to finance, human resources, sustainability or communications. As careers go, there’s a lifetime of opportunity here.
Where do you see yourself?
As a strong people leader, you will support the organization in the oversight of the Corporate Finance, Commodity Tax, Accounts Payable, Banking and Treasury and Operational Processing areas. You will play a key role in assessing tax risk and will work across the organization with various internal groups on several real estate finance matters. Overseeing the Banking and Payables team will expose you to transactions across the organization, allowing you to collaborate with several business units. Areas of responsibility include:
- Oversight of the Consolidated Financial Statements for GWLRA and its Subsidiary Companies; completion of GWLRA Financial Statements, Management Reports and analysis for the GWLRA Board Meetings
- External property and operating cost audits including accounting research and accounting policies for all clients
- Develop and maintain financial earnings reporting by region, client, and business unit
- Forward planning including annual budgeting, re-projections and multi-year forecasts of corporate revenue and operating expenses
- Working with the CFO, Vice President, Finance and the GWLRA Executive on expense management analysis and initiatives; including development of expense approval standards, controlling approval limits and authorized signature cards for cost centers
- Maintain budgetary guidelines and controls for discretionary expenses such as Travel, Entertainment, Training & Development etc.
- Lead liaison with Corporate Expense Reporting, Banking, Corporate Planning, Taxation, Corporate Financial Reporting, Investment Reporting and Investment Financial Management on all GWLRA Revenue and Operating Expense analysis and financial information.
- Oversee annual external audit review of GWLRA, GWLRA subsidiaries and GWLRA Pension Plans
- Responsible for all GWLRA Corporate and Client Real Estate Commodity Tax matters including oversight of real estate related Government and Regulatory Tax filings for Canada Life and GWLRA’s Real Estate Clients
- Ensure structures in place for all Commodity Tax filings per client requirements including Goods and Services Tax (GST/HST), Quebec Sales Tax (QST) and Retail Sales Tax (RST)
- Where applicable, implementation of new commodity tax legislation as it relates to all aspects of the real estate operations across Canada.
- Ensure compliance with Canada Revenue agency (CRA) and maintain open communication with Canada Life Tax Department, External Auditors and Consultants on tax matters
- Oversight of CRA audits relating to commodity taxes
- Research areas of taxation and provide recommendations to parent company for review
- Document policies and procedures for the organization on matters related to various processes
- Provide guidance to regional business units and regional accounting staff on commodity tax matters
- Responsible for all GWLRA Banking, Treasury and Accounts Payable
- Full responsibility of recruiting and selection of accounting staff. Supervise and motivate staff, conduct staff performance evaluations.
- Liaise with regional Vice-Presidents and leaders providing direction and advice on accounting policies and a variety of finance and administrative items.
- Directing the activities regarding the development of GWLRA Real Estate Accounting Policies and Procedures in accordance with IRFS and Client Requirements
EXPERIENCE, KEY ATTRIBUTES AND EXPERIENCE
- Post-secondary education in relevant field, CPA designation in good standing coupled with approximately 10 years experience, at least three in a people leadership capacity; exposure to real estate considered an asset
- Advanced experience relating to corporate financial statements and analysis; interpretation of Commodity Tax Filings and CRA audits
- Strong people leadership experience with large teams of different disciplines; including teaching staff interpretation of policies, regulations; staff development plans, leading a financial operational team
- Ability to look at the big picture, manage multiple priorities and apply technical knowledge in complex organizational structures
- Exceptional verbal and communication skills
Why work for us?
Beyond your paycheque, we invest in your health, well-being and development, and encourage teamwork and collaboration, so you can do your best work and enjoy life to its fullest.
Are you ready to grow your future with us?
Learn more about our team of professionals, and the exciting new opportunities available with GWL Realty Advisors by reviewing our job openings below. Apply today!
We thank all applicants. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
NO RECRUITING AGENCIES PLEASE
GWL Realty Advisors is an equal opportunity employer. It prohibits discrimination based on age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other legally protected class in accordance with applicable federal, provincial and local laws. We are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible workplace. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation during the interviewing process, please let us know
This is a full time position
Subscribe to be notified of new jobs