One of the great things about being an international real estate company is the variety of career options we can offer our employees. Combined with our investment in your learning and development, we can empower you to achieve your goals.
You could be managing a real estate portfolio for a large pension fund, buying or selling properties, overseeing a development project, managing or leasing a building, or taking on corporate responsibilities related to finance, human resources, sustainability or communications. As careers go, there’s a lifetime of opportunity here.
Where do you see yourself?
Reporting to the Senior Director, Corporate Finance and located in Winnipeg, GWL Realty Advisors’ Corporate Finance Department consists of twenty-six finance staff and spans multiple disciplines overseeing various facets of the finance operations; including Corporate Financial Reporting for the GWLRA Canadian and U.S. Legal Entities, Indirect Taxation (commodity taxes), Banking and Treasury, Accounts Payable and Centralized Transaction Processing. The team supports our 9 regional offices across the country, our US owned subsidiaries and our Executive team providing. Reporting to many external stakeholders along with internal departments in Canada Life.
Located in the GWLRA Winnipeg office, we are looking for a leader to join the organization and support the organization in the oversight of the GWLRA’s Canada and US Consolidated Financial Statements, Investment Reporting Subsidiary Real Estate Assets and oversight of our External Real Estate Audits.
DIRECTOR, FINANCE RESPONSIBILITIES
As a strong people leader, you will support the organization in the oversight of the Corporate Finance, Canadian and US Subsidiary reporting. You will play a key role in assessing risk and will work across the organization with various internal groups on several real estate finance matters. Overseeing the Canadian GWLRA reporting team and US Subsidiary reporting, EverWest Real Estate Investors, LLC.
- Leadership and mentorship to 3 direct reports ensuring growth and succession opportunities for the team
- Oversight of the monthly Consolidated Financial Statements for GWLRA and its Subsidiary Companies; completion of GWLRA Financial Statements, Management Reporting, and analysis for the GWLRA Board Meetings. including the review of elimination entries and foreign currency translation
- Provide advice and assist the Portfolio Corporate Development team to execute on transactions alongside the US subsidiary
- Review and approve intercompany activities and balances to ensure compliance with tax planning
- Review and analysis of US GAAP to IFRS differences to ensure appropriate compliance and consolidated reporting to Canada Life
- Coordinate and facilitate external property and operating cost audits including Accounting research and accounting policies for all clients
- Oversee annual external audit review of GWLRA, all GWLRA subsidiaries and the GWLRA Pension Plans
- Analysis of GWLRA’s corporate results in comparison to budget to be provided to various members of the Executive team
- Liaise with Corporate Expense Reporting, Banking, Corporate Planning, Taxation, Corporate Financial reporting, Investment reporting and Investment Financial Management on all GWLRA Revenue and Operating Expense analysis and financial information.
- Liaise with portfolio reporting team to assist with all IFRS financial reporting matters. Research of new IFRS accounting standards as well as analyze the accounting treatment of transactions for clients
- Develop & maintain financial earnings profitability models by region, client, and business unit
- Participate in the development forward planning including annual budgeting, re-projections and multi-year forecasts of corporate revenue and operating expenses
- Responsibility of recruiting and selection of accounting staff. Supervise and motivate staff, conduct staff performance evaluations.
- Liaise with regional Finance and other business leaders providing direction and advice on accounting policies and a variety of finance & administrative items.
- Directing the activities regarding the development of GWLRA Real Estate Accounting policies and procedures in accordance with IRFS and Client Requirements
EXPERIENCE, KEY ATTRIBUTES AND EXPERIENCE
- Post-secondary education in relevant field, CPA designation in good standing coupled with approximately 10 years’ experience, at least 3 in a people leadership capacity; exposure to real estate considered an asset
- Advanced experience relating to corporate financial statements and analysis.
- Strong people leadership experience with large teams of different disciplines; including teaching staff interpretation of policies, regulations; staff development plans, leading a financial operational team
- Ability to look at the big picture, manage multiple priorities and apply technical knowledge in complex organizational structures
- Exceptional verbal and communication skills
Why work for us?
Beyond your paycheque, we invest in your health, well-being and development, and encourage teamwork and collaboration, so you can do your best work and enjoy life to its fullest.
Are you ready to grow your future with us?
Learn more about our team of professionals, and the exciting new opportunities available with GWL Realty Advisors by reviewing our job openings below. Apply today!
We thank all applicants. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
NO RECRUITING AGENCIES PLEASE
GWL Realty Advisors is an equal opportunity employer. It prohibits discrimination based on age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other legally protected class in accordance with applicable federal, provincial and local laws. We are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible workplace. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation during the interviewing process, please let us know
This is a management position
This is a full time position
Subscribe to be notified of new jobs