About GWL Realty Advisors
GWLRA is a leader in both the commercial and multi-residential real estate industries. Driven by our values of Integrity, Ambition, Creativity, and Empathy, our vision is to be a sustainable company known for exceptional real estate management, trusted advice, and outstanding service by consistently fulfilling our mission to deliver strong, long-term results for our clients.
Be responsible for managing all aspects of multi-residential capital planning, vendor procurement, developing project scopes, designs and construction phases for building capital projects throughout the Central Canada Region in our metropolitan and greater Toronto markets. Depending on work priorities, opportunities to assist our teams with capital work in Eastern and Western Canada markets also available. A project management construction background with experience managing multi-residential projects of various types while maintaining ongoing building operations in fully occupied rental apartment buildings is essential. Understanding the management of industry standard design consultant and contractor construction contracts along with their resulting direct coordination and administration activities is important. This role also provides operational and building technical support to Property Managers for a variety of building systems and assemblies. This position will require domestic travel, the extent of which will be determined in part by COVID restrictions and company policies.
Building Capital Plans and Operational Support
- Develop and maintain annual and long-term 5-year capital plans with appropriate cost coding using financial software program (Yardi 7S) for your assigned properties with supporting documentation and business rationale for scopes of work, revisions, and updates.
- Procure engineering services to assess, audit and evaluate building and property conditions including building envelope assemblies, plumbing, mechanical and electrical systems, etc. to support long-term capital planning requirements and provide recommendations for improvements to lower operating costs and raising asset values.
- Plan and implement risk management strategies for timing and prioritizing of work prior to the execution of major projects
- Develop plans for implementing energy saving projects for the residential portfolio.
- Make recommendations to the Operations team on technical and mechanical issues to assist with their ongoing review of property equipment and make recommendations on maintenance operations and expenditures.
- Make recommendations for the continuous improvement of Project Management and Technical Services policies and procedures.
- Project management of multiple, small, and large scale, multi-faceted capital projects, typically valued between $25k to $2M across 50 to 70 projects / contracts at one time annually.
Management of Building Capital Projects
A – Planning, Scope Development & Procurement
- Manage capital projects through all phases of the project life cycle from initiation through scoping, procurement, design, construction and close out for delivering all aspects of existing building interior renovations, exterior restoration, technical system replacements, upgrades, energy management and environmental services for the residential portfolio.
- Assist clients with preparing and prioritizing capital project planning, scope development, cost estimates, budgeting, scheduling and monthly forecasts for assigned program
- Use GWLRA Residential pre-approved vendor list for design consultants and contractors to procure project development and execution services.
- Prepare and issue vendor requests for proposals, quotations and tenders required for the design and/or construction of project work in compliance with GWLRA Residential policies and procedures.
- Evaluate tender bids and provide recommendations to Operations and Asset Management prior to awarding contracts.
- Plan and implement risk management strategies prior to the execution of major projects
B – Execution, Monitoring & Controlling
- Work with vendors to provide value-engineered solutions that will ensure the best possible options are chosen and implemented.
- Confirm applicable permits and regulatory approvals are obtained for the projects and closed upon completion and acceptance of the work.
- Review design documentation with consultants for client approval.
- Attend and conduct property tours, project site meetings, inspections and manage all aspects of project communications.
- Manage and negotiate contract terms and other necessary documents including cost control methods for proposed and approved contract changes, troubleshooting, deficiency correction, issue resolution and contract holdbacks.
- Manage the receipt, coordination, and timely approvals of RFI’s, CCN’s CO’s, CD’s.
- Manage, monitor, and control consultant(s) and contractor(s) performance during project execution to ensure contract objectives and deliverables are achieved in accordance with the specified design, governing codes, and quality standards.
- Check contractor(s) maintain a safe workplace ensuring compliance with all applicable codes and legislation, including occupational health and safety, WHMIS, and hazardous substances programs.
- Conduct regular site meetings and inspections to assess work progress and alignment with approved project schedule
- Responsible for verifying completion of work as per contract, processing, approving project related invoices and monthly progress draws with applicable supporting documentation for payments.
- Proactively liaise with and report on project statuses to ensure clients are informed of work progress and that their opinions and requirements are taken into consideration.
- Manage all aspects of the closeout, warranty, training phase and ensure comprehensive transition plans are developed in support of a smooth and orderly conversion from construction project to operations team with accurate handover of operating documentation and maintenance manuals for the project file.
- Other duties assigned by your direct Manager from time to time.
C – Budgeting & Financial Management
- Track and manage all financial commitments compared to budget and actuals to assist with the preparation of accurate financial reporting
- Monitor and provide quarterly capital project forecast updates, comparing projected costs and cash flows to original budget assumptions with associated variance explanations and supporting rationale.
- Responsible for record keeping of relevant key files such as soft cost, hard costs, changes orders and project reports.
- Review and oversee project related expenses verifying work has been performed and completed satisfactorily such that payments may be released.
- 5+ years of experience with a large-scale development, construction, or engineering firm.
- University or College Degree / Diploma, ideally in either Project Management, Engineering, Architecture, Building Science or in an appropriate field of study
- Possess or is actively working towards a PMP, P.Eng or similar designation.
- Self-motivated and ability to work proactively and in team environment
- Strong working knowledge of municipal building permit process, regulatory laws and authorities governing building construction and associated occupational health & safety procedures.
- Able to read/interpret construction drawings (Architectural, Structural, Electrical, Mechanical and Civil) and experience with negotiating, management, enforcement of CCDC and other forms of contracts.
- Excellent organizational and communication and skills both written and verbal, that enable you to successfully manage multiple priorities and projects under strict budget and schedule constraints and communicate status thereof to senior managers and stakeholders.
- Your well-developed financial analysis and technical skills include a strong knowledge of MS Office suite (including, Excel, Word, Outlook, and MS Project) and knowledge of Yardi Job Cost and project management systems would be an asset.
- Knowledge of/use of AutoCAD/BIM/Revit is considered an asset.
- Previous experience within the multi-residential industry and successful implementation of measurable ‘value engineering’ techniques.
- Exposure to “Intelligent” or “Smart” building technologies would be beneficial.
- A valid driver’s license and own vehicle for travel within Toronto and GTA properties
What we Offer
- 3 Weeks of Vacation per year
- 3 Paid Personal Days per year
- Up to $2,000 annual Education Allowance
- Up to $5,000 annual Mental Health Coverage, plus other comprehensive benefits and savings programs
- Up to $400 to use towards wellness annually to help support your financial, physical, and mental wellness
Learn more about our commercial and residential businesses, our values, and careers at GWLRA.
Our Commitment to Diversity
GWL Realty Advisors is an equal opportunity employer. It prohibits discrimination based on age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other legally protected class in accordance with applicable federal, provincial and local laws. We are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible workplace. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation during the interviewing process, please let us know.
This is a full time position
Subscribe to be notified of new jobs