GZA GeoEnvironmental, Inc. (GZA) is currently seeking a motivated Waterfront Senior Project Manager (SPM) to support our marine/waterfront practice in the Northeast region. This person can be based out of any of our offices in the following locations: New Jersey, New York City, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Maine, and Massachusetts. The successful candidate should be versatile, having had significant experience in both the structural and geotechnical aspects of waterfront facility design, as well as, experience with business development, client interaction, financial business practices, management, and project delivery. A sufficiently strong technical background and a professional demeanor to lead a group of waterfront engineers are required. Starting position will be based upon the candidate’s education and experience. Advancement will be dependent upon the candidate’s abilities, initiative, ambition, and success.
GZA’s Waterfront Sr. Project Managers, work on a wide variety of assignments related to the marine environment. In addition to waterfront structural and geotechnical engineering, projects encompass interdisciplinary components including civil and environmental engineering, regulatory permitting and construction support. As a Waterfront SPM, the responsibilities of the successful candidate will include developing work through client relationships; organizing a team of waterfront engineers to complete assignments; serving as the primary client contact; mentoring junior staff; and managing project billings, financial terms and performance. GZA’s close-knit culture and interoffice collaboration will allow you to apply your expertise and diversify your skill set by participating in challenging projects. Our success relies on this collaborative environment.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Pursue marine and waterfront project opportunities
- Develop proposals
- Manage junior staff with engineering analyses/calculations for the assessment, design and construction of piers, bulkheads, transfer bridges, mooring structures, and shore protection structures
- Manage field tasks such as condition surveys and evaluations of existing waterfront structures
- Lead a team in conducting technical analyses/calculations including but not limited to development of environmental loading criteria, berthing and mooring analyses, structural modeling, soil structure interaction, member and detail design, construction support, and cost estimating
- Mentor junior waterfront engineers by sharing your technical knowledge and providing technical guidance
- Be responsible for project completion, quality control, billing, project performance, and client management
- Monitor and document geotechnical and structural aspects of construction projects
- Contribute to multidisciplinary project teams within inter-GZA core service groups and external subconsultants and contractors
- Communicate effectively and efficiently with contractors, clients and team members
- Complete 10-hour Construction Course, 40-hour OSHA HAZWOPER training, and obtain a TSA TWIC card
- Collaborate within GZA’s marine group to grow the east coast practice and market share
- Collaborate within GZA’s marine group on business and market plans to increase business opportunities
- Lead a project team to complete a multiple range of waterfront/marine related projects
- Manage project teams, delegate office and field staff, and execute day to day activities of projects
- Conduct internal and client communications
- Monitor team performance for compliance with contractual agreements and budgets
- Attain P.E. registration (if not already attained)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering (Master’s Degree specializing in Structural Engineering a plus)
- Professional Engineer License
- 15+ years of structural engineering or related experience with knowledge of applicable codes and regulations
- Experience with business development, client interaction, pursuit of opportunities, and proposal development
- Significant experience in the design, preparation of construction documents and construction phase management of waterfront focused projects
- Ability to manage a team of waterfront engineers to perform field operations and project deign
- Demonstrate professional judgment, consistency, and strong attention to detail
- Demonstrate performance of analysis, problem solving and strong organizational skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience in the northeastern United States or similar climate
- Out of town travel may be expected. Candidate must have consistent means of transportation to/from project sites.
GZA is an employee-owned multidisciplinary environmental consulting, geotechnical engineering, geo-civil engineering, construction management and environmental remediation firm. We are an ENR Top 500 Design firm focused on geotechnical, environmental, waterfront, ecological, and construction management services. With a staff of interrelated professionals dedicated to providing high-level expertise on complex projects above, below and at ground-level, GZA’s experts provide seamless integration across practice areas, client type, and location.
GZA values diversity and is committed to providing an accepting and inclusive work environment for all employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. GZA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, marital or veteran status, age or other protected status.
Visit Careers at GZA