Hawk Chevrolet of Joliet is looking for Auto Body Apprentice to add its busy Body Shop Team! Candidate is to assist in repairing vehicles thoroughly, safely, and profitably in a manner consistent company, and insurance guidelines/standards.
This is a full time Local Union 701 shop position!
Essential Job Duties:
- Complete dis-assembly of vehicle in order to assist in assessing damage to prepare a 100% Repair Plan.
- Ensure all needed repairs are identified to eliminate supplements and minimize repair time.
- Plan work procedure and follow work order for all operations listed.
- Remove upholstery, accessories, electrical/hydraulic window, seat operating equipment, and trim to gain access to damaged area of vehicle if needed.
- Store parts on carts or cover to eliminate potential damage. Mend damaged body by hammering out or filling in dents and welding broken parts.
- Ensure all gaps and fits are to industry standards. Remove damaged fenders, panels, grills, and bolts or welds.
- Put replacement parts in position and reassemble after parts are painted. Operate a variety of hand and power tools (e.g. welder, soldering equipment, cutting torch, blocks, hammers, wrenches, sander, spray guns, etc.)
- File, grind, and sand repaired surfaces before turning vehicle over to the Paint Department. Repair or replace defective parts, and ensure all needed repairs identified to eliminate supplements to minimize repair time.
- Inspect and test drive repaired vehicles to check for compliance with safety and quality standards. Wash and prepare vehicles for customer return. Comply with all Hawk Auto safety rules, guidelines, and standards.
- Perform other related duties as assigned relating to, but not limited to washing cars, cleaning the shop, etc.
- Must have minimum 2 year experience
- Ability to effectively communicate with others
- Ability to read and understand instructions, written estimates and work orders
- Multi-tasking, and adapts easily to fast-paced environment
- Personable, friendly demeanor with “World Class” customer service approach to internal and external customers
- Maintain a well-groomed appearance
Physical Requirements / Working Conditions
Position is based in a normal shop environment. Occasional physical activity such as reaching below and above shoulder level, kneeling, bending, squatting and stooping to inspect repairs, and lifting and carrying objects over 50lbs. Exposure to fumes, chemicals, dust, along with high levels of noise. Subject to weather conditions both inside and outside. Required to wear protective equipment when necessary. Occasional sedentary work. Must have visual acuity to determine the accuracy and thoroughness of the work assigned.
Employment offers are conditional until successful completion of pre-employment screenings, including background check, drug screening and MVR check. We are an equal opportunity employer.
This is a non-management position
This is a full time position