Reports To: Director of Pre-Construction
Estimate time, material and manpower requirements for all designated McCarl’s Inc. projects. Provide managers with preliminary project bids for review and approval.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review plans, both digital and hardcopy, and project specifications to determine required applications, tool requirements and material needs in a detailed method.
- Analyze time, material and manpower requirements for each project. Develop final written estimate of cost of performing project according to specifications.
- Interface with customers, vendors and subcontractors, and fabrication shop regarding projects. Gather information to determine subcontractor or vendor suitability.
- Research specific applications in trade manuals and technical manuals for possible adaptation and/or modified applications as required.
- Report to the Manager of Estimating or General Manager as appropriate on a daily basis regarding completion status of projects.
- Exercise significant independent discretion in developing project estimates and applying “mark up” and “mark down” factors. Utilize best estimate method and historical data to apply factors.
- Participate in customer scope review and internal project turnover and post project review meetings. Interact with operations group, purchasing agent and management.
- Visits customer field locations as required to ascertain equipment needs and unit applications. Attend pre-bid meetings as required.
- Understand subcontractor scopes and select pool of potential subcontractors. Determine most appropriate subcontractors for particular project and negotiate McCarl’s Inc. relationship with same.
- Is aware of special safety and code requirements on all jobs being bid, including rigging, material handling and scaffolding. Incorporate safety considerations and McCarl’s Inc. Safety Program in performing duties.
- Effectively communicates and projects the principles of “The McCarl Way®.”
- Perform other duties as assigned by manager/supervisor.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in technical aspects of mechanical estimating with familiarity in gas, chemical, power, steel and/or proceeded pipe.
- Familiarity with codes, B 31.1, 31.3, 31.4 & 31.8.
- Functionally competent with CAD modeling software.Thorough knowledge of mechanical construction and/or process piping industry.
- Aptitude for evaluation, analysis, problem solving, planning and organization.
- Effective quantitative reasoning and mechanical aptitude.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate (written and verbal) at all levels in the company.
- Experience with Quick-pen, Trimble software, Autodesk/Navis works a plus.
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Ability to attain and promote good customer relationships (both internal and external).
Working Environment & Required Personal Protective Equipment:
Office & job site environments. For the most part, ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in typical office environment. While at job sites, employees must use personal protective equipment as deemed necessary by the industry/construction safety standards and/or by McCarl’s safety policy and procedures.
This is a non-management position
This is a full time position
Subscribe to be notified of new jobs