Malin Space Science Systems (MSSS) is a private technology company that designs, develops and operates space camera systems. We are currently seeking a Mission Operations Specialist to become a part of our innovative team. Under general direction of the Instrument Operations Manager, the Mission Operations Specialist is responsible for operating cameras on the M2020 Perseverance rover and/or the Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) Curiosity rovers. The Mission Operations Specialist’s first job will be to learn to operate and command Perseverance Mast Cameras Zoom (Mastcam-Z) Cameras. As their experience and expertise expands, they may also be invited to operate the SHERLOC/WATSON cameras on Perseverance and/or the scientific cameras on Curiosity, i.e., Mastcam, Mars Hand Lens Imager (MAHLI) and Mars Descent Imager (MARDI) cameras.
- Retrieves, processes, logs and archives Mars images from Downlink Data and distributes to NASA and scientists.
- Checks and ensures camera health and safety, and reports back to NASA.
- Supports scientists from around the world in planning science observations on Mars.
- Creates, checks and executes rover camera command sequences to NASA for high quality images on Mars rovers.
- Provides thorough documentation of all work.
- Performs complex job tasks with a high degree of detail and repetition, as failure is not an option on this team.
- Follows detailed procedures while listening to input from scientists and engineering colleagues (on the phone, chat and Webex) and incorporates them into job tasks.
- Responsible for meeting deadlines, while under time constraints and maintaining a very high degree of accuracy.
- Accountable to the mission, team and manager; but most importantly, to your own high standards.
- Works independently and with colleagues on strategic projects; taking personal initiative, to find, solve and prevent future problems.
- Improves processes and procedures by writing scripts and being in service to Mars science and scientist(s) during strategic work.
- Potential to acquire additional job functionalities, including onboard camera data management.
- Performs other duties as required or requested which may become essential to this position
- B.S./M.S./Ph.D. in Planetary Science/Physics/Geology/Astronomy, Computer Science, and/or Engineering required.
- UNIX experience is required.
- Unix data analysis, shell script writing, programming, systems administration experience, and/or technical writing skills are a plus.
- Must be able to work at a high level of integrity and productivity both independently and in a team setting.
- Must have high attention to detail, possess the ability to multi-task, document work carefully, and stay focused for long periods of time.
- Good communication and organizational skills are essential.
Must be able to remain in a stationary position operating a computer for prolonged periods of time, while handling multiple priorities simultaneously. Must be able to communicate clearly in multiple formats and with a variety of people amidst constant input from colleagues on the phone, in chat rooms and in the office. Ability to handle stressful deadlines. Must possess good analytical skills and be able to comprehend and interpret large amounts of data both individually and with others. Must be able to sustain an extremely high attention to detail over long periods of time (8 hours or more). Must have the interest, curiosity and ability to understand the “big picture” of complex technical systems which include cameras and rovers. Must possess the desire to learn and increase knowledge, advance technical proficiency and further develop interpersonal skills.
The employee must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and, if requested, reasonable accommodations will be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job, absent undue hardship. The Employer retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
MSSS is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets Employer
This is a non-management position
This is a full time position
Subscribe to be notified of new jobs