Efficiently operate Vertical Form Fill and Seal (VFFS) packaging equipment, Clamshell packaging lines, Ishida Scales, MAP Sealers, and Packaging area bag and case coders. Perform daily Operational Maintenance activities. Follow written production schedule and assist with film changes. Follow all safety and GMP requirements.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: include the following. Other duties may be assigned as needed.
- Fully competent in running all packaging equipment, seldom requiring assistance, and consistently maintains high levels of efficiency and minimal downtime. Efficiently operate VFFS packaging equipment, clamshell packaging lines, Ishida Scales and Packaging area bag and case coders.
- Train, mentor and help develop new and existing operators.
- Perform daily operational maintenance activities which include: All cleaning, adjustments, inspections required to have the machine function properly.
- Make film changes.
- Assist other PMO's, technicians, and production personnel daily to reduce downtime and increase plant efficiency. Offer input and suggestions.
- Verify set up of machine; verify that the machine has been properly put back together from sanitation crew along with scales and their proper function.
- Clean and properly store any machine related items not being utilized for the current run.
- Assist, support and trains other PMOs.
- Responsible for machine set-up, general machine operation and changeovers. Changeover is the process and time equivalent of going from one product, label, container, coding, or material to the other. It is possible for a single changeover to have one or all the items mentioned.
- Clean, maintain a neat and organized area around your designated line / machinery. Continually monitor area around machinery and clean up trash, product, etc. near machinery. Clean machine and belts to ensure free from debris and product.
- Assist other operators with their duties when attending machine is not being utilized.
- Per established criteria outlined in the QA manual, verify the first packages/clams of labeled product meet the product specification for that product and are run to GMP requirements set by the company.
- Frequently collect and deliver rework product to the designated area.
- Look up product SKUs in a PC computer and select product that will be run on the machinery. Change and calibrate machinery via the PC.
- Complete machine and production forms by filling in product, label information, and counts.
- Follow and complete the daily production schedule, including changes that may occur during the day with limited supervision. Production schedule is the document containing type and number of items expected to be passed through packaging equipment; a change would be any deviation from that schedule.
- Troubleshoot technical machine problems, elevate to maintenance if outside scope, or resolve if within scope of duties and skills. Machine problems within scope may include: machine downtime due to excessive product, product over the photo eye, changing ribbon on label machine, cleaning belts and keeping free of product and debris. Make minor mechanical repairs.
- Setup and operate minimum of three kinds of packaging lines to include operating two lines simultaneously.
- Assure designated scale is performing at or above standards and delivering consistent weights as per specification and SOP.
- Work with no direction/assistance to setup and run a machine.
- Meet and exceed all production goals, including but not limited to, yields, downtime, schedule attainment, product waste, case fill and UPMs.
- Responsible for quality of all finished product such as taking samples, testing and recording results including but not limited to: Weights, temperatures, seals, oxygen, labels, unit and case codes. Responsible to communicate any discrepancy, error or any aspect out of specification to QA department and production crew lead/supervisor immediately.
- Train PMOs on new product introductions and new processes.
- Load, adjust, create and improve machine recipes.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Individuals must possess these knowledges, skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Basic math skills – addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, average and giveaway percentage calculation. Demonstrated ability to use a calculator.
- Understanding of machinery and electronics in addition to PMO level 2 requirements; ability to understand and manipulate the machine for maximum efficiency
- Demonstrated ability to lift/move up to 50 lbs.
- Advanced understanding of computer, software, and connectivity.
- PC Understanding. Locate and retrieve files from directories, save files in multiple locations (flash drive, My Documents, network folders), create folders to organize files, select appropriate printer and print, use multiple ways to accomplish the same task including keyboard shortcuts/icons/menus, use input device (mouse), use peripheral devices such as scanners, use special function keys, page up/down, home/end, troubleshoot common technology problems - printer queue, not connected to the network, etc.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and continuously meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with personnel at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work off shifts.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
- Ability to operate automated equipment.
- Basic English/Spanish reading and writing skills preferred.
- Ability to use a weight scale and thermometer.
- Trouble shoot mechanical problems and make all minor repairs.
Education: HS Diploma or GED: or one-year job related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and job-related experience.
Demonstrated ability and experience performing the duties required of this position which is consistent with a minimum of two (2) years directly related work experience. Directly related work experience consists of job experience operating similar packaging and labeling machinery in a food manufacturing environment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
While performing the essential duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to speak, to listen to others and to handle business related machines and documents. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift or move objects in the office/production facility of up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to air conditioning. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be regularly exposed to cold temperatures of 36 degrees and occasionally heat when working inside/outside the production facility. The employee will be working inside a production facility where the use of chemical substances are present and used. Employee's work is also subject to the pressures of time constraints and deadlines. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and loud when working in the production facility.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws:
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) English https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/posters/fmlaen.pdf
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Spanish https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/WHD/legacy/files/fmlasp.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) English https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/posters/eppac.pdf
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) Spanish https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/WHD/legacy/files/eppaspan.pdf
Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/VETS/legacy/files/USERRA_Private.pdf
This is a non-management position
This is a full-time position