WHO WE ARE
Penn Color is the most diverse manufacturer of color concentrates in the United States and a global leader within our industry. We have a rare and unique 50-plus year history of growth, stability and success that stems from our leadership, our exceptional workforce and our attention to our customers. We remain family owned to this day, we maintain a culture based on traditional values and we continue to project a very promising, long-term outlook. If you are looking to join a cohesive team and contribute your expertise in a meaningful manner, we should be your employer of choice!
Who We Need
In this role as an Additive Development Scientist, you will specifically conduct research and manage projects related to polymer and additive development in plastics applications.
You will be responsible for new product development with special emphasis on the latest technology in functional additives and polymers for packaging applications and processing for producing masterbatches. This will include working with strategic partners on additives, polymers, modifiers, flame retardants, oxygen scavengers, pigments, dyes, and other additive systems for a variety of plastics applications. In addition, you will develop Excel/SQL based tools to support internal formulators and predictive tools for Penn Color’s products in Plastics applications.
You will have the added benefit of working in our brand new, state of the art, Plastics & Technology Research & Development laboratory.
Your Education will include:
- B.S. in Engineering, Chemistry, Polymer or Material Science
- Master’s preferred
Your Knowledge, Skills and Experience will include:
- 5+ years’ hands-on experience and in-depth knowledge of thermoplastics, polymers, additives, modifiers and product development
- Experience in Polymer formulation including additive functionality, stabilization, modification, environmental interaction, and suitability of plastics in their intended application
- Material exposure to both engineering and commodity resins
- Broad knowledge of polymer chemistry, properties, blends/alloys and principles of polymerization
- In-depth knowledge and hand on experience in thermoplastics processing technology
- Experience with plastic master batch formulations using colorants, additives, fillers, and reinforcements
- Thorough knowledge of FDA and EU food regulations related to packaging materials
- Thorough knowledge of plastics testing techniques, method development, characterization and analytical analysis techniques
- Demonstrated ability to initiate innovative concepts, generate prototypes, conduct pilot trials and scale up to manufacturing
- Results driven, competitive and self-reliant
What YOU Can Do For Us
- Positively lead and manage multiple global plastics projects, as assigned
- Deliver new products for successful growth of plastics market
- Conduct formulation and process development studies; interpret test results, data analysis, write technical reports and technical papers
- Lead efforts to search and file patents as necessary in relation to new plastics products/developments
- Contribute ideas for new product development, innovation and growth of the plastics market sector
- Effectively communicate and coordinate activities within multifunctional teams and global plastics teams
- Participate in applicable trade associations and professional societies
- Understand global regulations and their impact on material selection for FDA, EU Food contact, and international food legislations
- Develop and deliver technical presentations to Senior Management and customer base
- Operate all processing equipment including mixers, extruders, compounders, and injection molders; set up process conditions, optimize for output and quality, set up cleaning and routine maintenance
- Use standard test and characterization equipment and devices such as spectrophotometer, gloss meter, COF, FTIR, DSC, TGA and Rheometer
- Maintain knowledge of processing technology and trends; propose and lead new equipment setup and requisition
- Visit customers as required for technical exchanges, scale-up trials, or technical service (travel up to 15%)
What WE Can Do For You
We offer many tangible and intangible benefits. Tangible benefits include competitive compensation, excellent medical benefits and a 401K with company match. Intangible benefits include a company with rock solid stability, a culture where employees are valued and decisions are made for the long-term (and not by the fluctuation of a stock price!).
Go ahead and submit your resume!
Penn Color, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We adhere to a policy of making employment decisions without regards to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability or any other protected categories. It is our intention that all qualified applicants be given an equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors.
Subscribe to be notified of new jobs