Join a trusted and highly-regarded non-profit agency based in Contra Costa County since 1965. We are committed to providing outstanding person-centered services to children and adults who have intellectual or developmental disabilities. Enjoy a work environment that emphasizes work-life balance and a culture of service.
OUR CULTURE OF SERVICE: The individuals and communities we serve are the reason we've been around for almost 60 years! We strive to help each person become as independent and self-sufficient as they can be. We invite you to experience the satisfaction and fulfillment of being there for the people who depend on you and working together with your team in a culture of service.
Assist adults with disabilities gain employment skills and advocate for their inclusion and independence through person-centered instruction.
The Employment Advocate leads small groups of program participants who decide the activities and services they want to participate in. While the focus is on employment, the purpose of the program is to foster skills in self-advocacy, self-sufficiency, and independence in all aspects of the participants' lives.
Additionally, the Employment Advocate works with participants to develop appropriate work-related skills and behaviors while eliminating tendencies that have been identified as barriers to employment.
On a typical day, a Community Aide will...
- Lead small groups of participants in community-based activities (ex: volunteer work, paid employment, job exploration and training, mobility training, educational opportunities, and social skills training.
- Assists participants in developing a schedule of weekly activities that reflect their interests, needs, and goals.
- Assists in the development, implementation and review of participant program plans
- Monitors job placements and other community activities and provides support to ensure success.
- Records and report writing
- Communicate with family members, care providers, case managers
- Develop and maintain community contacts
Nice to haves:
- Bachelor's Degree preferred but can substitute for experience in relevant field.
- Knowledge of developmental disabilities.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Should be highly skilled in: leadership or coaching, conflict resolution, time management, cooperation/teamwork, developing positive professional relationships.
- Two years experience providing direct services to persons with developmental disabilities or in community outreach or other social service settings.
- One year of continuous, verifiable experience in a relevant field such as rehabilitation, retail, production, or food service.
- Valid CA driver license and good driving record required.
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00-3:30 pm (37.5 hour workweek)
Compensation: $20.50/hour + great benefits!
Benefits for these work hours include:
- Medical, Dental, Life and Long Term Disability Insurance, 403(b) retirement plan,
- Paid vacation, Sick Days, and 11 paid Holidays plus a paid "holiday" on the employee's birthday.
- Employee Discount program for restaurants, shopping, travel.. even Disneyland!
Our vacation accrual rates are generous: 1st and 2nd year of employment = 2 weeks vacation a year; 3rd and 4th year of employment = 3 weeks vacation a year; 5th to 9th year of employment = 4 weeks vacation a year; the 10th year onward = 5 weeks vacation a year.
All positions open until filled
Keywords: Direct Support, DSP, advocacy, caregiving, sales, coach, activities, outreach
Program: Commercial Support Services
This is a full time position