VistAbility is a non-profit agency serving Contra Costa County that exists to enhance and enrich the lives of children and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. We provide direct services and advocacy to assist those we serve in achieving their highest level of personal independence and self-sufficiency.
Do you enjoy being out and on-the-go, helping others reach their goals? Are you seeking meaningful work that truly makes a difference in the lives of others?
As a Community Support Specialist, you will provide participant-directed community-based services to adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Community Support Specialists assist adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities to develop services promoting self-determination, independence and self-sufficiency in the community. We are a 100% community-based day program with an emphasis on self-advocacy and community integration.
- Recreation: outdoor activities, community events, bowling, sports
- Educational activities: attend classes for art, music, yoga, foreign language
- Activities to enhance social skills and community involvement
- Mobility training, transport consumers
- Volunteer and paid work for the participants
You will also track each participant's progress toward reaching their individual goals, and act as their case manager.
- Develop, review, and evaluate individual program plans
- Records and report writing
- Communicate with family members, care providers, case managers
- Develop and maintain community contacts
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Two years experience also preferred, providing direct services to persons with developmental disabilities or in community outreach or other social service settings.
- Knowledge of developmental disabilities.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Should be highly skilled in: leadership or coaching, conflict resolution, time management, cooperation/teamwork, developing positive professional relationships.
- Valid CA driver license and good driving record required.
- Must meet State Licensing requirements involving health screening and Dept. of Justice clearance including fingerprinting and background check.
- COVID-19 Vaccination - subject to religious or medical exemption requests
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00-3:30 pm (37.5 hour workweek)
Compensation: $16.00/hr + great benefits!
- Medical, Dental, Life and Long Term Disability Insurance, 403(b) retirement plan,
- Paid vacation, Sick Days, and 11 paid Holidays plus a paid "holiday" on the employee's birthday.
Our vacation accrual rates are generous: 1st and 2nd year of employment = 2 weeks vacation a year;
3rd and 4th year of employment = 3 weeks vacation a year; 5th to 9th year of employment = 4 weeks vacation a year; the 10th year onward = 5 weeks vacation a year.
All positions open until filled
This is a full time position