VistAbility is a non-profit agency serving Contra Costa County that exists to enhance and enrich the lives of children and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. We provide direct services and advocacy to assist those we serve in achieving their highest level of personal independence and self-sufficiency.
As an Community Support Specialist, you will provide participant-directed community-based services to adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. You will transport and work one on one with a participant in various community settings like a bowling alley, public park, library, or even the mall to achieve goals to promote self-determination, independence and self-sufficiency in the community. We are a 100% community-based day program with an emphasis on self-advocacy and community integration.
- Track each participant's progress toward reaching their individual goals, and act as their case manager.
- Develop, review, and evaluate individual program plans
- Records and report writing
- Communicate with family members, care providers, case managers
- Develop and maintain community contacts
- Recreation: outdoor activities, community events, bowling, sports
- Educational activities: attend classes for art, music, yoga, foreign language
- Activities to enhance social skills and community involvement
- Mobility training, transport consumers
- Volunteer and paid work for the participants
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Two years experience also preferred, providing direct services to persons with developmental disabilities or in community outreach or other social service settings.
- Knowledge of developmental disabilities.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Should be highly skilled in: leadership or coaching, conflict resolution, time management, cooperation/teamwork, developing positive professional relationships.
- Lifting: The ability to assist in a 2-person lift of an average adult as well as be able to lift up to 75 pounds independently.
- Pushing/Pulling: The ability to safely push or pull a wheelchair with an average adult for 30 consecutive minutes.
- Bending/Squatting/Reaching: The ability to assist adults in personal care activities, such as changing briefs, or in a medical or behavioral emergency, such as a grand mal seizure, fall, or aggressive or destructive behavior. These activities may require bending, squatting, or kneeling on the floor.
- Valid CA driver license and good driving record required.
- Must meet State Licensing requirements involving health screening and Dept. of Justice clearance including fingerprinting and background check.
- COVID-19 Vaccination - subject to religious or medical exemption requests
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00-3:30 pm (37.5 hour workweek)
Compensation: $17/hr + great benefits!
Benefits for these work hours include:
- Medical, Dental, Life and Long Term Disability Insurance, 403(b) retirement plan,
- Paid vacation, Sick Days, and 11 paid Holidays plus a paid "holiday" on the employee's birthday.
Our vacation accrual rates are generous: 1st and 2nd year of employment = 2 weeks vacation a year; 3rd and 4th year of employment = 3 weeks vacation a year; 5th to 9th year of employment = 4 weeks vacation a year; the 10th year onward = 5 weeks vacation a year.
All positions open until filled
This is a full time position