Founded in 1965, VistAbility (formerly Contra Costa ARC) is a trusted and highly-regarded Bay Area non-profit agency serving individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
Assist adults with disabilities in gaining skills towards greater independence and self-advocacy out in the community! Whether it be at the mall, bowling alley, park, volunteer opportunities-- this is a dynamic position with lots of social and community interaction.
As a Community Support Specialist, you will provide participant-directed community-based services to adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Community Support Specialists work with program participants to tailor services to their interests and personal goals in independence and self-sufficiency while out the community.
- Track each participant's progress toward reaching their individual goals, and act as their case manager.
- Develop, review, and evaluate individual program plans
- Records and report writing
- Communicate with family members, care providers, case managers
- Develop and maintain community contacts
- Recreation: outdoor activities, community events, bowling, sports
- Educational activities: attend classes for art, music, yoga, foreign language
- Activities to enhance social skills and community involvement
- Mobility training, transport consumers
- Volunteer and paid work for the participants
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Two years experience also preferred, providing direct services to persons with developmental disabilities or in community outreach or other social service settings.
- Knowledge of developmental disabilities.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Should be highly skilled in: leadership or coaching, conflict resolution, time management, cooperation/teamwork, developing positive professional relationships.
- Valid CA driver license and good driving record required.
- Must meet State Licensing requirements involving health screening and Dept. of Justice clearance including fingerprinting and background check.
- COVID-19 Vaccination - subject to religious or medical exemption requests
- Indoor masking is required at all program sites when in contact with any staff and/or participants
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00-3:30 pm (37.5 hour workweek)
Compensation: $17/hr + great benefits!
Benefits for these work hours include:
- Medical, Dental, Life and Long Term Disability Insurance, 403(b) retirement plan,
- Paid vacation, Sick Days, and 11 paid Holidays plus a paid "holiday" on the employee's birthday.
Our vacation accrual rates are generous: 1st and 2nd year of employment = 2 weeks vacation a year; 3rd and 4th year of employment = 3 weeks vacation a year; 5th to 9th year of employment = 4 weeks vacation a year; the 10th year onward = 5 weeks vacation a year.
All positions open until filled
Keywords: Direct Support, DSP, advocacy, caregiving, sales, coach, activities, outreach
This is a full time position