Envision a future where health disparities do not exist, where HIV transmission is extremely rare, and where people living with HIV have access to the medications and social support they need to live healthy, long lives. San Francisco AIDS Foundation has worked to create such a future since 1982 through education, advocacy and direct prevention, substance use health and supportive services. More than 16,000 people every year access free HIV testing and STI screening, harm reduction and syringe access and disposal, community engagement, and health navigation services. We need passionate agents of social change, vanguards of public health, and creative problem-solvers to join our fight.
The Clinical Registered Nurse (RN) provides direct sexual health care and takes an active leadership role for the daily clinical operations. This position function under an expanded scope of practice with the Medical Director.
This is a part-time position working about 32 to 40 hours per month, on at least one Monday and one Saturday shift per month, 8 to 10 hours per shift. .
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Clinical Services: Works under an expanded scope of practice with the Medical Director to provide care to clients seeking screening for sexually health services, Hepatitis C treatment, Pre Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) and non-Occupational Post Exposure Prophylaxis (nPEP) services. Provides direct clinical services as defined by Magnet’s protocols and treatment guidelines including obtaining medical history and physical, specimen collection, high-volume phlebotomy, administration of treatments, performing point of care lab tests, management of Hepatitis C, PrEP and nPEP care, client counseling, and education. Works with Magnet staff and other volunteers to insure quality of care. Provides referrals as appropriate to outside providers.
- Administrative: Serves as a clinic leader and assists in the coordination of clinic operations, flow, and client care. Completes documentation of reports and clinical services provided with a high level of detail and thoroughness. Provides other professional or administrative duties as required.
- Public Health Reporting: Ensures Confidential Morbidity Reports are submitted to the Department of Public Health and addresses any submission issues.
- Policy Development: Works with the Director of Nursing to develop clinic policies and procedures.
- Laboratory Testing Personnel: Perform moderate complexity and waived lab testing per the laboratory guidelines under the supervision of the Laboratory Director.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Communication Skills: Demonstrates effective written and verbal communication skills
Knowledge: Possesses technical knowledge required to do the job
Judgment: Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; can clearly explain reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles
Adaptability: Adapts to changes in work duties and organizational structure
Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; works with others to solve complex problems
Customer Service: Ability to work comfortably with diverse populations, with sensitivity to issues concerning HIV and all disabilities. Responds efficiently and cordially to requests for service and assistance
Professionalism: Reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration; follows through on commitments
Dependability: Completes tasks on time; takes responsibility for own actions; reliable
Computer Skills: Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and eClinical Works
Professional Expectations: Demonstrated ability to fulfill the Foundation’s professional expectations of accountability, active collaboration, commitment, communication, diversity and professionalism
No Supervisory Duties
Physical Requirements and Work Environments:
Skill in operating office equipment such as a personal computer, copy machine and telephone system. Ability to perform routine bending, stooping, twisting, and reaching. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be able to differentiate colors to interpret lab tests.
The position may have exposure to blood borne pathogens and other infectious agents. Works directly with bio-hazardous materials and infectious wastes. Adhere to strict needle and “sharp” safety guidelines.
Education and Experience:
- Associate’s degree in Nursing required. Bachelor’s preferred.
- Current California Registered Nurse
- Employee must maintain an active Registered Nurse with the California Board of Nursing.
- Current Health Care Provider Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required.
- Current California Certification as an HIV Counselor required or must be obtained within 6 months of hire.
- Training in Good Clinical Practices, research ethics, and IATA shipping preferred.
- One year experience in outpatient sexual health clinic preferred.
- Bilingual English and Spanish, Russian, Cantonese, or ASL preferred
This position is primarily located at 470 Castro St and 1035 Market St; San Francisco, however may require traveling to other office locations or off-site meetings as required by the job.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for personnel so classified.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
The San Francisco AIDS Foundation is an Equal Opportunity employer. We actively seek applications from people living with HIV/AIDS, and other disabilities, women, gay men, lesbians, transgender, queer and people of color.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Please visit our careers page at:
POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Department: Sexual Health
This is a part time position
Visit Careers at San Francisco AIDS Foundation