Women, Infants and Children (WIC), a supplemental nutrition program, safeguards the health of low-income women, infants, and children up to age 5 who are at nutrition risk by providing nutritious foods to supplement diets, information on healthy eating, and referrals to health care. Our WIC improves the health of nutritionally at-risk women, infants and children. Studies have shown that, since its inception in 1974, WIC is one of the nation's most successful and cost-effective nutrition intervention programs by improving diet and diet-related outcomes; infant feeding practices; immunization rates; cognitive development and children's school-readiness.
Under the supervision of the WIC Clinic Supervisor and WIC Clinic Coordinator, performs the functions of a WIC Certifier in accordance with established guidelines; perform program functions which determine nutritional and medical risk factors by using anthropometric measurements, hematological testing, evaluating food questionnaires and medical data forms. The certifier also provides varied nutrition education based on risk codes; refers clients to appropriate community social service agencies; accurately documents all services provided on proper state forms.
Essential Job Functions (including but not limited to):
- Performs eligibility, certification and nutrition education functions.
- Responsible for issuing accurate benefits.
- Provides basic nutrition and breastfeeding counseling to low-risk WIC Clients.
- Referring clients to medical care and social services agencies as appropriate.
- Responsible for pulling and filing client charts while following HIPPA rules and regulations
- Responsible for calling clients to schedule appointments, and return calls within 24 hours
- Responsible for issuing breast pumps as needed
- Accurately refer breastfeeding clients to proper Breastfeeding specialist
- Responsible for maintaining a healthy and nutrition oriented clinic environment
- Attends state and agency trainings as required
- Stay up to date on Policies and Procedures set by the state
- Travel to other WIC sites as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned by management team
- Education & Experience
- Minimum of high school diploma or equivalent is required
- Must have passed the WIC Certified Professional Authority exam in accordance to the State of Nevada WIC Policy GP 9
- 6 months of customer service in a business or office environment is required
- 6 months of computer experience in a business or office environment is required
- 6 months general clerical experience (filing, faxing, copying, etc.) is preferred
- 6 months experience with a multi-line phone system is preferred
- Knowledge & Skills
- Ability to communicate fluently in English using both verbal and written communication is required
- Must be organized, display strong time management abilities and have attention to detail to effectively meet clinic needs
- Must have basic computer skills including Microsoft Word (typing), Excel (spreadsheets), email program (create/receive emails), and other software programs as needed
- Must be flexible and adaptable to changing schedule and/or work tasks
- Must have the ability to maintain cooperative relationships with co-workers, supervisors, clients and any others contacted in the course of work activities
- Must demonstrate ability to work in a team environment and work independently with limited direction from supervisors
- Properly utilize knowledge of policies and procedures mandated by the WIC State Program and the SCF organization is required
- Physical Demands
- Must be able to sit a table or desk for long periods of time with occasional standing, walking, squatting or reaching.
- Must be able to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects weighing up to 50 pounds with our without material handling equipment
- Must be able to work for long periods of time while maintaining concentrated attention to detail.
- Must be able to use tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity
- Must submit negative TB results (One Step TB or Chest X-ray) prior to hire date and every 2 years employed
- Must be able to travel by car, bus, airplane or train from site to site as needed
This is a non-management position
This is a full time position
Subscribe to be notified of new jobs