The City of Martinsville is seeking Letters of Interest from qualified individuals to serve as the City Attorney for the City of Martinsville, Virginia. The City Attorney is a contract position hired directly by Martinsville City Council. General requirements of the position include (but are not limited to):
- Must be licensed to practice under the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia with at least five (5) years of active practice immediately preceding the appointment by City Council
- Acts as legal advisor to the Council, City Manager, department heads, City boards, etc. Provide interpretations of codes, ordinances, statutes, legal and legislative proceedings, etc. as may be necessary.
- Prepares ordinances, deeds, contracts, agreements, leases, and other assorted legal documents as may be necessary to transact the business of the Council and City;
- Attends Council meetings in person, or assigns an assistant to do so;
- Institute, prosecute, and participate in legal proceedings necessary to protect the interest of the City;
- Other duties as may be assigned by Council. A more complete description is included in Chapter 7 – Department of Law under the City Charter; CHAPTER 7. - DEPARTMENT OF LAW | Code of Ordinances | Martinsville, VA | Municode Library