The Procurement Director performs Senior Level purchasing and procurement work. Work involves establishing program goals and objectives; planning, organizing, coordinating, preparing specifications for purchasing commodities and services; preparing procurement documents; and monitoring the maintenance of detailed records of items purchased, received, prepared, and issued. Will develop, implement, and oversee agency-wide procurement and purchasing standards. Work involves researching, evaluating, purchasing, and procuring services using State of Texas guidelines, rules, policies, and laws. Will be responsible for making recommendations to Administration on standardizing, streamlining the procurement process. Will work to reduce waste and to ensure the best use of agency resources. Will work with the agency’s Contract Manager to develop and manage various contracts as appropriate, though procurement and purchasing will remain the primary function. Works with the Executive Director and senior leadership to ensure that Center policies and procedures are consistent with regulatory requirements of procurement and contracts and are being followed per the philosophy, goals, and objectives of the Community Center. Operates under trauma-informed and recovery-oriented models of care that align with CCBHC standards.
To be successful in this job, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Review existing purchasing policies and procedures against the actual practice and prepare recommendations to the Executive Management Team for updated processes.
- Ensure Policies and Procedures to manage the overall agency-wide procurement process to ensure the best use of agency resources and funds.
- Review agency-wide purchases to ensure a more cost-efficient and timely process is in place.
- Develop, implement, and oversee approved agency-wide procurement and purchasing standards.
- Be responsible for organizing, coordinating, and preparing specifications for purchasing commodities and services.
- Review requests for purchases and audits and reviews the validation and receipt of purchases.
- Review purchased commodities and make recommendations to Executive Management for improving or enhancing practices.
- Responsible for the development and the provision of training to staff regarding purchasing and procurement practices and policies.
- Develops and executes purchases requiring competitive bidding such as RFP, RFQ and RFA’s ensuring compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
- Negotiates with vendors for the best possible price and service guarantee for goods and services.
- Develops new supply sources where vendors are inadequate.
- Work with the Contract Manager to ensure good overall practices are in place, and review fiscal practices to ensure appropriate expense reports.
- Works with Contract Manger to evaluate current contracts to determine, based on experience, that the agency is getting the best rates possible for services or goods.
- Coordinates the monitoring and tracking of vendor performance.
- May supervise the work of others.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of purchasing and procurement methods and procedures, of state procurement principles and practices, of assigned commodities and products on the open market, of supply sources, and of the principles of business administration and accounting.
- Skill in problem solving and in the use of a computer and applicable software.
- Ability to perform arithmetical computations such as add, subtract, multiply and divide.
- Ability and knowledge to evaluate program goals, to evaluate bids, to develop methods and procedures for locating supply sources, to maintain a system of record keeping, to maintain effective working relationships with vendors and suppliers, to communicate effectively.
- Ability to generate, read, interpret, and act as it relates to basic financial statements, national and state regulations, operational and maintenance, and organizational policy/procedures.
- Ability to write reports and correspondence.
- Ability to effectively communicate in both verbal and written format.
- Ability to maintain good attendance record.
- Ability to ensure deadlines are met timely.
- Ability to provide supervision to others.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Public Administration, or a related field OR experience in procurement, contract administration, management, evaluation, or monitoring of contract providers required. Experience and education may be substituted for one another.
- Three (3) years of Community Mental Health experience preferred.
- If no Community Mental Health experience, experience with state or local procurement or contracts would also be preferred.
Registration, Certification and Licensure:
Must possess one of the following OR be able to take and pass the State exam within three months of being hired:
- Certified Texas Contract Manager (CTCM)
- Certified Texas Contract Developer (CTCD), formerly known as a Certified Texas Purchasing Manager (CTPM).
- Upon hire must have a valid Texas Driver’s License and vehicle for use while at work.
Hours: 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. M-F FSLA Status: Exempt
Salary: Depends on Education, License and Experience. Salary Requirements must be noted on employment application.
Heart of Texas Region MHMR Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires the Center to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Perspective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with management.
Location 110 S 12th St Waco TX 76701
Heart of Texas Region MHMR strives to offer competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
Employer paid Health Insurance
Employer paid Dental Insurance
Employer paid Life Insurance
Payroll Direct Deposit
10 paid Holidays per year
Generous Paid Time Off (PTO)
Excellent 401-K Retirement Plan (Center will contribute 12% of employee earnings)
**Certain Requirements Needed**
Department: Main Center
This is a full time position
Visit Careers at Heart of Texas Region MHMR Center