Performs mental health services for severe adult mentally ill clients involved in criminal justice system. Rides out with a designated county sheriff’s deputy in Freestone, Limestone, Falls, Bosque, and Hill County to provide mental health services to individuals identified with severe mental illness. Work involves conducting interviews, clinical assessments, on-site crisis coverage, case management, coordinating tele-psychiatry, coordinating with various legal & community stakeholders for all referred individuals and program participants. Work involves collaboration with attorneys, judges, district attorneys, law enforcement deputies, jail staff, family members, and other stakeholders to provide mental health services and continuity of care for identified individuals. Works under moderate supervision of the SB 292 Program Manager with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment in carrying out details of the work.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
- Rides out with designated county sheriff’s deputy in Bosque, Hill, Falls, Limestone, and Freestone County to provide services to individuals with severe mental illness.
- Identifies and screens referred individuals in the legal system for mental illness
- Provides on-site (jail and community) assessments and develops intervention
- Coordinates referrals and case management
- Provides continuity of care services with all area jails
- Prepares progress notes and other required documentation
- Advocates with legal entities for persons with mental illness
- Provides ongoing case management, counseling, and other interventions for program participants.
Knowledge, Skills, and Essential Functions
- Excellent written communication and basic computer knowledge for inputting clinical documentation
- Excellent verbal communication with consumers, staff, and community providers
- Time management required to meet service goals
- Local travel to consumer homes and other community settings
- Lift up to 30 lbs.
- Stooping, bending, sitting, standing, and keyboarding for prolonged periods
- Ability to be CPR and PMAB certified
- Local Travel 25% Region Travel 75%
- Valid driver's license, liability insurance, and reliable transportation required
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's or Master's in social work, psychology or related field with ability to obtain Qualified Mental Health Professional credentialing
- 1 year of case management preferred
Hours: Mon-Fri 8A-5P
Salary: $45,000-$49,500 for Bachelors level / $48,150-$52,965 for Masters level
plus SB292 Stipend $5000
Location: 2010 LaSalle Ave Ste B Waco TX
Paid Health Insurance
Robust Retirement Plan
Heart of Texas Behavioral Health Network is a qualified local government entity that may qualify employees for the Public Student Loan Forgiveness Plan (subject to certain requirements and guidelines being met by the employee based on this government program). There is no guarantee of this program for all employees.
Department: Behavioral Justice Center
This is a full time position