status: Exempt reports to: VP Food Safety & Qualitylocation: Salinas days/shifts: Mon-Fri; some weekends
Wage Range: $114K to $158K
The Director of Food Safety and Quality Systems is responsible for the maintenance of plant and field processes and food safety programs. The position includes the interaction with the Ag Ops personnel who are responsible for the monitoring of the crops while in the field. This position will provide cross functional coverage for all areas of management in the Food Safety and Quality Departments as needed.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS (other duties may be assigned as needed):
- Manage Food Safety processes and conduct studies in the Plant and Agricultural Operations department including the verification of food safety rules and compliance with regulations.
- Assist in food safety audit interactions as needed and as directed.
- Assist with plant trail work for product improvement and new product development. Work on the floor to validate product quality and connect quality attributes to qualify products or processes.
- Verify and validate the microbiological programs including environmental monitoring, product testing, water testing and air testing according to regulatory and audit compliance. Validate that processes are effective in microbiological regulatory compliance and verification of sanitation effectiveness.
- Maintain and modify food safety training programs to ensure the entire workforce understands and owns food safety, is properly trained, knowledgeable, and able to identify and call out issues and perform assignments as directed.
- Continue the development and improvement of organicgirl food safety programs from supplier compliance through the building block components of the food safety program (GMP, SOP, SSOP, recall, HACCP, training, etc.). Work with the executive management team at organicgirl and industry experts and professionals to augment current GAP programs and develop innovative ways to monitor food safety compliance. Actively oversee and engage in food safety compliance in the facility and the field operations.
- Initiate investigations and provide customer communication regarding complaints and rejections. Analyze complaint data and provide connections to quality data that can be relevant in the development of capabilities and expectations of products.
- Provide coverage for cross functional quality and food safety areas of management as needed. Coverage may include management or supervision of the field or the plant.
- Supervise quality assurance employees, food safety employees and the Shelf-Life Technician. Supervise field food safety employees as coverage requires. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees. Plan, assign and direct work. Provide performance reviews. Address employee complaints and resolve problems.
SAFETY/GMP/Misc (if applicable)
- Maintain and work in accord with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration norms.
- Adhere to GMP’s in accordance with company policy.
Individuals must possess these knowledge, skills, and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree with a focus on food science, microbiology, process logistics, agriculture or food related. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in managing food safety programs in the vegetable processing industry and/or agriculture.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in managing food safety personnel and guiding and developing personal growth paths for employees.
- HACCP and PCQI certification with experience in developing risk assessments and establishing basic foundation programs to address identified risks or potential hazards.
- Knowledge of FSMA and LGMA regulations and ability to connect processes and capabilities to these expectations.
- Ability to prepare corporate food safety documentation and a working knowledge of local, state and federal regulations and guidelines regarding food safety.
- Knowledge of industry microbiological requirements and issues surrounding micro testing.
- Demonstrated leadership capability and problem-solving skills.
- Working knowledge of Excel, Word, Power Point computer skills.
- Must be able to communicate scientific principles and food safety concepts to a broad audience ranging from agricultural workers to industry scientists.
- Must be an experienced writer in food safety documentation.
- Must be able to communicate quality and food safety polcies and train individual employees to insure consistent adherence to organicgirl programs.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- HACCP Certification
- PCQI Certification
- Valid California Driver’s License
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Proven ability to organize, motivate and direct people.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and peripheral vision. The position requires some travel and frequent weekend work.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to extreme cold. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; fumes or airborne particles; chemicals; heat; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws:
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) English https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/posters/fmlaen.pdf
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Spanish https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/WHD/legacy/files/fmlasp.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) English https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/posters/eppac.pdf
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) Spanish https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/WHD/legacy/files/eppaspan.pdf
Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/VETS/legacy/files/USERRA_Private.pdf
Department: QA & Food Safety
This is a management position
This is a full-time position
Visit Careers at organicgirl