Data Innovation Lab
Front-End Developer - 1 Year Fellowship
- Join an innovative, like-minded team that focuses on your personal growth and accelerating your career!
- Use your skills and experience for social good
- Earn $70,000 per year plus a great host of benefits
- Fellowship program runs from June 2024 to May 2025
- Application window open from January 27 To March 3, 2024
Tech Impact's Data Innovation Lab (Tech Impact) exists to engage local and global organizations in an ongoing conversation around the use of advanced data analytics and artificial intelligence to fast-forward research ideas out of the lab and into the marketplace.
Our mission is to develop novel data and analytics approaches that can disrupt the status quo and fundamentally alter a current issue or problem. Using best practices, diverse industry experience, access to technical and scientific talent, and core technologies, the lab will solve community-based issues while attracting national talent to the region and providing work for the technical and innovative talent of Delaware.
For more information, visit our website.
About the Opportunity
Tech Impact is looking for Front-End Developers to join our team for a 1-year Fellowship Program in New Castle County, Delaware. The Fellowship Program will run from June 2024 to May 2025 and is a hybrid role. Along with our Lead Front-End Developer, our Front-End Developers serve as our primary delivery resource to design and create sustainable and engaging user-facing data narratives across projects.
The Fellowship is intended for technologists with a deep technical skill set and a strong desire to serve their communities. As a Front-End Developer, you will work with our partners to design, develop, and deploy production-grade solutions to social good problems. You will be expected to collaborate across projects to prototype solutions, deploy products, and create accessible, interpretable tools for the communities we serve. Your work will directly lead to improving the lives of people in communities in Delaware and beyond.?
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead and contribute to UI/UX design efforts by delivering wireframes, storyboards, prototypes, and mock-ups of data products. Translate UI/UX prototypes into code.
- Define and iterate through application designs, refining structural and aesthetic decisions based on user testing and client feedback.
- Author and document reusable code and libraries for routine processes.
- Define and ensure adherence to testing and validation standards across projects.
- Consult clients on best practices and decisions for enhancing their individual tools and developing new ones.
- Develop user-facing features in adherence with Lab coding and collaboration standards.
- Optimize applications for maximum speed, scalability, and accessibility.
- Collaborate with other members of Fellowship in the design, wireframing and final build of production-grade data products.
- Oversee all technical aspects of implementing elements of graphic design into front-end interfaces.
- Facilitating ideation and design-thinking exercises with the Data Lab team and project partners.
More About You
Our preferred candidate will demonstrate their front-end development experience through a portfolio of their work and any relevant training.
In addition, we require strong skills, experience, and knowledge in the following:
- Commitment to leveraging data for social good.
- Experience with data visualization grammars and libraries such as d3.js, Plotly, etc.
- Experience using Node.js/NPM to install and develop new packages and modules. Understanding of ES6+ principles. Typescript experience is a plus.
- Experience building and integrating maps into user interfaces (using libraries such as Leaflet or Mapbox).
- Understanding of options for deploying, hosting, and securing web applications.
- Experience delivering high-quality, scalable software releases and web applications.
- Familiarity with the fundamentals of typography, color theory, and layout systems.
- Ability to create and use interaction design pattern libraries – and an ability to articulate the reasoning for these choices. Understanding of use cases for design frameworks such as Bootstrap and Tailwind CSS is a plus.
- Experience designing human-centered user interfaces, including planning and executing user research, iterative design, and usability testing.
- Experience leveraging front end design to deliver compelling data narratives through a variety of formats (e.g., scrollytelling, dashboards, etc) and for a variety of devices. Ability to identify use cases for specific storytelling formats.
- Experience working with version control platforms, especially Git/GitHub.
- Experience with front-end testing using libraries such as Mocha, Chai, Jasmine, and Jest is a plus. Familiarity with the principles of unit testing.
- Familiar with HTML5, CSS3, Responsive Design, web APIs.
- Experience implementing WCAG/web accessibility principles into front-end designs.
- Ability to work effectively on collaborative teams as well as independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to translate complex jargon into meaningful, actionable insights for technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to organize and prioritize work efficiently and effectively.
- Basic understanding of data analysis and processing methodologies is helpful.
- Familiarity with command line operations.
About the Benefits
In exchange for your hard work and dedication, you will receive a salary of $70,000 per year plus a great host of benefits, including:
- Hybrid workplace (60% remote)
- Medical, dental, vision health benefits - 90% cost paid by Tech Impact
- Wellness card that pays your co-pays
- Accidental death and life insurance plan
- 401K plan
- 15 days paid time off
- Job placement upon completion of the 1-Year Fellowship
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Tech Impact embraces diversity and does not discriminate in employment based on age, race, color, creed, sex, gender, identity, religion, marital status, veteran’s status, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation.?
- ADA Specifications: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Requires the ability to speak, hear, see and use a computer and other office-related equipment.
- Also requires the ability to sit for extended periods of time, stand, stoop, crawl and lift to 50 lbs.
- May require local and regional travel.
Department: Data Lab
This is a full time position
Subscribe to be notified of new jobs